Dying flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChikNLovr, Oct 31, 2016.

1. ChikNLovr

ChikNLovr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    I just buried my fourth chicken today, from a flock of 9 down to 5. All have died within the last 4 months.
    Half of these hens were 3 years old, and half were 2 years old. Mixed breeds: RIR, Golden Sex Link, Speckled Sussex
    They have all exhibited similar symptoms:
    Stop laying
    Looking pale/sickly
    Poopy butts, likely from runny poop, but no blood
    Lethargic
    Dropping dead, usually within a week of initial symptoms.

From reading other posts, I self-diagnosed this as possible coccidiosis outbreak, so I ran to the Feed store and got the balance of the flock started on Corid today. But my research implies that cocci typically affects younger chicks, so I'm not 100% confident in this diagnosis.
    After the first death, I scrubbed out the coop(s), and inspected the girls for insects. I also ran them through a course of de-worming, even though I saw nothing in the feces with my naked eye.

I was preparing to add to my flock, but I certainly don't want to bring any chicks into this mess.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what else might be going on? Thanks.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Certainly could be cocci just because they don't have blood in there poop doesn't mean they don't have it you could try using the corid it wouldn't hurt

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by