Dying Flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nouveauchick, Jan 10, 2013.

1. nouveauchick

nouveauchick Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    Northern NJ
    I have lost 2 hens this month. I only have one left. She appears to be fine. She was the biggest one and seems quite strong. There is no appearance of mites of any kind. Is there something I should do to protect my last girl? This is my first time with chickens and I am unfamiliar with medications.

I also don't know how well my last bird is going to do on her own. Won't she be lonely? I would like to get her some company. I looked at Meyers and they ship pullets ( I do not have the equipment for chicks). Has anyone had any experience with them? Also, because there is only one bird will the pecking order adjustments still take place? Do I have to gradually introduce the birds?

Thank You!

2. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    What happened to the others?

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    What happened to your hens? If you fear it is an illness, then wait at least a month of full health, before introducing a new hen. Also, deworm your flock if you haven't.

After, a month of full health you can look for a flock mate for your girl. I would suggest looking around locally (BYC and Craigslist.)

4. nouveauchick

May 9, 2012
    Northern NJ
    I don't know what happened to them. :-( One died about a 3 weeks ago, and we lost one yesterday. They seemed fine until they died. Our last hen also seems fine, although maybe a bit bored without her friends. The weather hasn't been too terribly cold and I have a ceramic warming plate underneath their nesting box to help warm the coop. I don't see any sign of mites. I guess maybe they could have worms, although the hen we have is pretty active. Can I buy dewormer at the feed supply store? Should I try an antibiotic?

Also, I live in NJ and although I haven't checked Craigslist, I had a hard time finding hens during the warmer months. I anticipate that winter may be even more difficult. Would it not be better for me to order birds that have a guarantee of health? Or are those guarantees kind of loose?

I can wait a month and see how this last girl fairs until I get her some playmates. Will I have to slowly introduce the new birds since their is only one hen in the coop or can I forgo that process? In the meantime is there something I can do to help keep her occupied so she doesn't get bored and lonely?

Sorry for all the questions. I guess I naively thought I would have my birds for a number of years. I didn't really think about them dying :-(

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

How old were your hens?

How were they laying? Good? Bad? Okay?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you still have the body, get a necropsy done. Most states have a free on inexpensive fee.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would treat the last one for mite, lice and worms with poultry dust and Safeguard for Goats/Cattle. You can get both at TSC.

8. laura877

laura877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    Look at their vent area and see if its all pink and inflamed. Thats a sign of lice. I was loosing hens too until I figured that one out.

9. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you feed them? Did the ones that died act sick at all prior to dying? For instance, did they stand around head pulled in and tail downward?

10. nouveauchick

May 9, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Thank you for all your help and recommendations. I didn't really notice any weird behavior, but I am watching this one very closely. They were 14 months old (roughly). They haven't really been laying eggs but I assumed that it was because of the winter and the shorter amounts of daylight (I was told they need 14 hours of daylight to lay eggs). I am going to go to the feed store tomorrow and see what kinds of medicinal products they carry.

Thank you again for all your advice! I really hope I can save my last girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by