Dying hair?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ec_Prokta, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    I want my almost black hair to be pure white via bleaching/dying it, but I've heard that it wrecks havoc with your hair. I'd like to hear from other people who have dyed their hair about this.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Seek a professional and do NOT try it at home. You will wind up with neon orange hair.

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    If you bleach your hair often, it can be damaging. My hair is very dark brown, but I like playing with my hair by adding streaks and such, which requires me to bleach first. You can look at my facebook image to see my red streaks. They are fading now, so purple is on the list for my next color! [​IMG]

If you decide to bleach your hair you will want alot of moisture rich shampoo and conditioner, as well as some kind of strengthener ( I use herbal essense leave in strengthener.) I am super tired right now, but if I think of anyting else, I will let you know!

This is what I use for both bleach and color: http://www.manicpanic.com/flash_new.html

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I say go for it if you want to try it. Just do your research first! If it comes out orange, you just didn't do it long enough. The hair has to lift to the appropriate level and then generally be toned. How to go about it just depends on what level you really are at currently and if there is any tint already in your hair. I will say though that some of the most God-awful hair color jobs I have had came out of salons. There is nothing mysterious to doing hair color. You just have to know what you are doing and understand the color wheel. I would check out one of the hair boards, like Hair Boutique and then decide what to do. I know though that Clairol 7th Stage is really popular for lightening and it will lift up to 10 levels so if you want to go from almost black to blonde, that will do it! Good luck! [​IMG]

5. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    If you've never done it, it's definately worth trying at least once, but I know a LOT of what your hair does depends on your hair type! [​IMG] Personally, I did they dying thing, but I don't think I'd do it again. My hair is naturally coarse, and dying it just made it worse. Good luck if you do get it done! (I'd also highly recommend going to a professional, it's going to be a little more expensive, but it will be worth it) [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It can take YEARS for your hair to grow out and replace hair damaged by dying.

I once bought a color I do not normally use. It turned out HORRIBLE! It was WAY WAY WAY too dark. I called the company and they told me how to fix it, but in the process of correcting the color it damaged my hair. I had to keep trimming the damaged ends and waiting for it to grow out...trimming more...waiting for it to grow...on and on. Yeah, took about 2 years to get all the bad spots out.

To go totally white with black hair would take even more treatments than I did during my color repair. Damaged hair is the BEST CASE scenario. It could just break off leaving you with bald patches.

Just buy a white wig.

7. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    And if you bleach for too long your hair breaks off and falls out.

I knew a girl, in college who tried to dye her hair red, over the weekend. When I saw her on Tuesday, after she had missed two days of school, she said it dyed her hair "Bozo-the-Clown" orange. She cried for a couple of days until one of her friends came over and fixed it for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by