Dying hen. **PICS**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WooingWyandotte, Dec 12, 2011.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I have a hen named June. She is a Buckeye.
    Recently, we've moved, causing her hatch mate to die of severe stress (back in September). June has slowly been declining in health; I'm concerned.
    She's weak, lethargic, slow, labored breathing. I have pictures. The last couple weeks have been the worst, she lugs out of the coop, always in this weird upright position.
    Every time she poops she looks like she's pushing hard. It's always black like tar and small.
    Her head feathers are usually ruffled and her abdomen his drawn tight. But she's SO thin. Her sternum bone is sharp and I can feel her ribs under her wing.
    I'm wondering, perhaps, worms? We wormed them with Wazine. They all gained weight, even June for awhile, but now she's losing weight again.
    I've done the homework, I know Wazine is not a great thing to worm with, but we had it on hand.

She is currently eating laying pellets with oyster shell, and she drinks LOT'S of water. Their coop is movable and they get fresh grass everyday, lot's of digging and dust baths. They free range about 3-5 times a week and have almost half an acre of goodies to dig up for an afternoon. The rest are thriving, but June isn't.
    Any input?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Poor girl! How old is she?

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    When I have birds that look like her, I treat them for Cocci. I had a hen like that last winter and after a week of treating her directly (not mixing meds in the water), she recovered and is still doing great today. I'm hoping she pulls through for you. [​IMG]

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Poor baby!! she looks miserable, I would get her on antibiotics too, I wouldn't think its Cocci because its been going on too long and no blood in the stools? right? It could be worms but not sure I would treat her with wormer til she was feeling better though. I hope someone can help you better. Good luck to you and June. I hope she feel better soon! [​IMG]

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Hiya!

She strikes me as having worms. Often you won't find evidence in the poop, but in the symptomatic behavior and appearance. They all should be treated, ultimately, but you may choose to just treat her. Wazine has to be used a second time within 2 weeks or it doesn't rid them of the eggs, which infect them again. This method also will rid her of lice and mites, plus it works long enough to kill eggs.

If she were mine, I'd use .5mL of Ivermectin (Iver-On, Ivomec, and other generic names: pour-on cattle wormer) in her mouth. I would want to buy at least one syringe, no needle necessary.

PLEASE be sure to squirt any meds to YOUR left if she's facing you. Feel for her crop to be certain you're squirting it down the correct side, not down her lungs.

The very next day, I expect you'll find worms in her droppings, so treat her at night and keep her separated that night until you see it- that will keep the others from...consuming it. Looks like angelhair pasta. If you treat all of them, it's not necessary to separate, as if someone gets gross, it can't reinfect them.

She can rejoin them thereafter, and you should see a difference in her over the next week. Feed them all some canned tuna in oil to boost protein. Sprinkle cayenne over their feed for a week to help with internal parasites and feed live culture yogurt to repopulate.

Please don't use antibiotics unless you have a diagnosis confirmation that shows which kind to use. They aren't as universal as folks think, and they only help if you have the bacteria they are meant for (gram positive, gram negative, etc) present as their primary problem. I see no evidence she has any bacterial infection.

Good luck!

6. FarmFreshEggs

FarmFreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    Vero Beach
    I know that when a hen is stessed from a close chicken friend death, the best thing you can do if it is stress is let her hatch some chicks. You can buy hatching eggs and see if she will sit on them. It will give her something to live for.

7. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    when one of my girls looks like that i give them baytril......it works like crazy!! good luck!! [​IMG]

8. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Thank you everyone very much for your replies.

I'll give an update after we give the wormer ChooksChick suggested. I just hope it isn't too late. Thank you again, everyone!

9. bumblebee 99

bumblebee 99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    Haven't read other replys but....
    I'd put a couple drops of apple cider vinegar into the water to kill bad stuff in her... Maybe give her some inside attention... does she have a favorite treat or something? Yogurt might be good to sooth her stomach. Sorry

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    In humans (and I will assume chickens), blood in the stool can present as "black tar". I would think worms first but not rule out cocci or some other infection. Excessive thirst is also a sign of infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by