Dying hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brianp, Aug 2, 2011.

1. brianp

brianp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Back in April I dewormed all my hens with Wazine followed up with another common dewormer (can't remember the name). Well a few weeks ago we tested them and found roundworm larva. So tis time we did Valbazen and 14 days later a second dose. The second dose was given Sunday. Today when I got home my 2 year old Buff Orphington was laying on the ground and barley able to hold her head up. We have moved her to the garage. Is there anything we should try? Her eyes are opening and closing and her comb is laying over. Any help is appreciated.

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

could it be heat stroke, if so, keep her cool and quiet.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds heat related. Bring her in the house in the A/C. Put her in a container of cool water...not cold water. Try rubbing the water on her skin to cool her down. Make sure you hydrate her with water using an eyedropper to get it in her. ETA: She should recover afterwards but will be weak. It would be best to keep her in a cage or crate inside for the night and the following day.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. brianp

Apr 19, 2010
    Well it was close to 100 in GA today and very humid!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I know. Gonna get worse too.

6. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    It does sound heat related. My BO had heat stroke. I brought her in, cooled her down. Gave her water. She was out. She stayed inside until she was stable and able to walk. It took a month. Now she is back outside, and doing fine. I talked to a vet, who told me that it takes time and patience to bring them back to health when they are that injured because they have to grow back the brain whatever, cells, I guess that they lost. It does cause brain damage. She couldn't walk for awhile, then was clumsy. It is a gradual recovery don't rush it.

This is her when I first found her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here she is recovered and back outside:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  7. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I just remembered something else...Was her comb and bottom of her feet hot to the touch?

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    How does her vent look?

9. brianp

Apr 19, 2010
    Thanks all for the help... She made it through the night and now is able to hold her head up. Still hasnt ate besides a little yogurt I gave her in the dropper with water. Should I continue to give her yogurt or something else through a dropper? She is not interested in eating anything right now.

10. brianp

Apr 19, 2010
    Quote:Vent looks normal just a little moist?

Quote:Yes she was hot all over!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by