Dying hen ....

cnterfld21

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
Whiteville, North Carolina
My Choclate is dying...... I believe it is gapeworm. Over the past few weeks we have had several different symptoms that would go and come among 3 chickens in our flock. Everything from wheezing, sneezing, coughing to semi green poop. I soke with the Doctor at NC State and we are pretty certain it isn't MG in anything like that because there was no way for it to have been introduced in the first place and they don't match most of the regular symptoms. And according to him they would all be dead by now if it was that. We first noticed it about 3 1/2 weeks ago and it seemed to really ease off after we separated the ones showing symptoms. However, this morning I found Chocolate gasping for air really bad and extending her neck every time she took a breath. She looked okay on the outside no signs of distress, no bleeding, no snot from her nostrils, just the very very labored breathing. I really hate this, she was my favorite
hit.gif
When I touched her she barely moved and normally she is very chatty.
Is it possible that Gapeworm has infected several of my chickens or there something else that I have missed?? Thanks in advance for your help

I doubt it's gapeworm since you mentioned this has been going on for the past few weeks. Gapeworm suffocate birds quickly, death quickly ensues. Chickens dont eat nor drink if infected with gapes, they are trying to breathe instead. Gapes arnt common in chickens neither.
I suspect that you're dealing with a respiratory disease and it may or may not be MG. Only a blood sample or necropsy sent off to a lab will tell what you're dealing with. I disagree with the doctor at NC State stating that there is no way MG or any other disease could be introduced and/or not matching symptoms of MG and other diseases.
There are various strains of MG as well as with other respiratory diseases...mild symptoms to deathly ill symptoms. MG and other respiratory diseases CAN and HAVE been introduced into chicken flocks by wild birds, not to mention external parasites.
I recommend that you contact your local extension office or state department of agriculture and get info on how to get your sickest bird tested and the cost (if any.) Let us know the results please if you decide to do this.
Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
I agree, it sounds like a respitory illness. The guy at NC must not raise chickens...... Respitory illness can be brought in on your shoes ( think how many people go to the feed store you go to)...on your clothes, or vehicle ....wild birds etc etc... Different illnesses can linger for years....
To treat the symptoms...and on many you are only treating symptoms, Tylan 50 cattle medication is used. If your downed bird is still hanging on you can give a children's cold and flu med until you get Tylan. But please do research on them so you know what you are dealing with. Best wishes.

She was dead when I got home today. I typed this up quickly this morning before work and left out a-lot of details. Sorry. I checked her throat as good as I could and saw nothing unusual...but not really sure what usual looks like. The Doc at NC State was extremely knowledgeable and spent well over an hour on the phone with me discussing possibilities with me. He said according to the information "I" gave him (ie.. symptoms, conditions...etc) he didn't believe CRD was the problem, however couldn't be certain without test. He gave me numerous things to check but they had no other symptoms but wheezing and sneezing. And the one who died today never sneezed and they all have eaten and drank well. That's what's so confusing and I still have 2 that are wheezing slightly. My Roo was wheezing initially (roughly 2 weeks ago) but now he just sneezes occasionally. Can they recover on there own?? I have read plenty of information on the multiple deseases and they all could fit but there is no runny nose, no watery eyes..etc. Just really confused.

Back
Top Bottom