dying in droves

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tennesseequail, Mar 6, 2015.

1. tennesseequail

tennesseequail New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    First post, but let me at least explain the scenario so I can try to get some help

bought 62 eggs from a local breeder.
    45 made it thru the first candle.
    end of day 17, start of day 18, hatching begins. Temp was 101 humidity about 59%
    Transfer them to the brooder Temp under the lamp is about 101 They all (30 of them) seem to lay on the outside ring of the light in piles Water there, showed them all how to drink it Feed in place, 24% protein and ground up very fine.

Fed them last night, some on the ground, they ate it all Found 3 dead.

gave them more food, 4 more dead today, and 2 more fading fast.

Water Check We have seen them drinking
    Food is okay, and they are eating it easy enough
    temps are good.

Am I missing something?

Do they die off like that in droves early on

2. chicken-whisperer

chicken-whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Vista San Diego County
    Never had them die like that but keep my brooder at 90 at first then 80 maybe move the light up until they huddle back to the warm area as it sounds like they are fleeing the heat.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    101 degree temp under a heat lamp is WAY too hot. Sounds like they are over heating and dying. Lower your temp to 92 to 95 degrees. Make sure the brooder is not covered with anything but an open wire screen. Your brooder is large enough so that there is cool spots away from the heat....so 1/2 square feet of space per chick. Food and water on one side, heat on the other. All sides and floor of the brooder is solid, open top with screen or wire for heat and oxygen exchange.

Use a red lamp only and place a reliable thermometer on the floor directly beneath the lamp.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. tennesseequail

tennesseequail New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    The brooder is rather big. 4 feet long, and the heat mostly on one end, so they can easily move out of the 'hot area' and regulate their temps.

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like they have enough space however 101 degrees is way to hot and will build up inside the brooder and can over heat the entire thing. What material is this brooder made out of?

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    "Lay on the outside ring of light n piles".... Quail only lay in piles, when they are chilled, or scared.... Are the dead ones on the bottom ? Like smothered?

1 person likes this.
  7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I would almost bet you have a open top brooder somewhere other than inside your house.... I'd guess the outside ring of light is the warmest and the birds are seeking heat.... If I'm reading your story right your chicks are saying they are chilled.... I hate to go against the grain but I would guess your big brooder as a draft and your chicks are chill'n and pile'n up, smothering the ones on the bottom

2 people like this.
  8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Bill, (Fat Daddy) is right here. If they are laying in piles under the light, they are chilled and dying. If you have this set up where there are drafts and where the temp outside the brooder fluctuates, they are definitely becoming chilled and dying.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by