dying keets... ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chookmama, Mar 9, 2012.

1. chookmama

chookmama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Just received a batch of 100 keets by mail. Everything seemed fine, then suddenly, NOT. One keet stretched out on its side, legs extended, stiff, but trembling convulsively when I picked her up. Stuffed her inside my shirt, tucked it in, and she recovered, slowly.

Suddenly - about 18 of them in the same condition! Stuffed them all inside my shirt, but this is pretty ridiculous/tough. Every time I move I'm afraid I'll pinch one. Have returned about a dozen to the brooder, and no one else has the problem.... yet. All are still alive, one or two more are chirping and will (soon) be returned to the brooder. at least a couple probably won't make it. I put them back when they're reasonably steady on their feet. When I cup my hand under them (through my shirt) I can feel their hearts beating.

Hypothesis. They made a mess with water and soaked their flannel sheet - do you think this is the problem? I covered the sheet with thick towels, removed the waterer and put in very shallow saucers filled w/ pebbles, and am filling it frequently (hourly? too soon to judge) but they don't have the ability to toss as much around this way.

It's 2:00 here, I picked them up at 8:30, saw the first problem abt. 10 and the mass problem about 11:30: they keel over far faster than they recover. Haven't had any more happen since I added dry towels.

I'm leaning towards that explanation, but if anyone has seen this and knows, I'd appreciate hearing. Also, if anyone knows a response a bit more elegant than running around with a shirt full of baby keets, I'd appreciate hearing that, too. Maybe a heating pad? I don't have a second brooder heater... I figured body heat is about right for keets, but it was a spur of the moment thing.

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe they were weak from arriving in the mail. Try refilling their waterer with warm water and put some sugar in it, it may help. Hope they all end up fine. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by