Dying Keets

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
Background: We live in the middle of cornfields,but are not ourselves farmers or any form of livestock beyond my beloved 2 boys (shelties). We have a growing brood of grandchildren and, in past few years, TICKS. I do garden as organically as possible and hate to have to use chemicals for anything. But, TICKS. So, the hubby suggested guineas.
Experience: none, other than reading books & forums such as this to learn and prepare before ever ordering.
Brooder: is in a spare room w/air vent blocked, door shut, no draft. It's a roughly 4x2 clear tote box. I cut the center from the lid &covered w/hardcloth. On the bottom is no-slip shelf liner,covered w/paper towels, a heat plate for warmth,a cone on top so they can't get on it, & feathers around the edges bc-rookie saw & bought it. Purina turkey crumbles, water, etc.
Received: 10 keets yesterday @ 1 pm. I didn't receive a call from upsp, they were delivered to my door, which from all I've read is a no no. 2 hrs later, 1 died. 2 hrs after that, another. 2 hrs later, another. Abt 5 hrs later, another, and woke this a.m. to find 2 more gone. 6 out of 10, so far. Hatchery sending replacements, but is heartbreaking to watch & would like to prevent it?
Symptoms: staggering,falling over,lying on belly,legs straight. Finally, neck hyper-extends straight back, mouth opening & closing silently, then dead.
After 1st one, made dash to shop & added Save-a-Chick electrolytes&vitamins (A,D3,&E). When 2nd one went down,everyone got a dose via 1ml pipette. Have tried raising, lowering heatplate. No sign of pasty vent. Eyes are clear &bright until they die. No drainage from anywhere. No swelling, discoloration, poo is white..not sure what is "normal" it's formed,white,w/a liquid ring surrounding it. I *thought* this was effect of doing 1&2 @ same time, that the ring is urine soaking into paper towel?
I put a heating pad in a shoebox,a plastic bag topped w/a terrycloth towel on top of the pad;the 2nd & 3rd keets went in it, snuggled by terry cloth. So I think I can safely say no diarrhea.
Like I said, newbie. Wish I cld find something that showed what color keets=what color adults, but they're beautiful little guys,is hearbreaking to see them struggle. One little guy (still here) reminds me of a cartoon penguin,except brown/black striped tux.
Have since read adding sugar in a few threads but no where else, and would I do that in addition to Save-A-Chick? Is it safe to add new batch to brooder w/whoever is left? - will do this 1x more,but w/temperature requirements & apparent risks, not sure I'd do another. These guys ran to food & water on arrival, whereas everything has indicated that 1 day olds were still full from the yolk.
What if I put something under the heatplate that kept them more enclosed? Trying to think what wld be safe to use. They do seem to nudge each other out-and not always that nicely. Doesn't seem to matter where I adjust heatplate at, they always huddle, not spread out as product suggests,w/the staggering one left out.

Wish I could find something that showed what color keets=what color adults,
:welcome

Helmeted Guinea Fowl Color Chart

Check the temperature at the bedding level. For newly hatched keets the temperature at the bedding level should be 90°F to 95°F and can be lowered by 5°F once a week until they are acclimated to the ambient temperature.

Purina Turkey crumbles are not appropriate for newly hatched keets. This does not have the protein, lysine, methionine or niacin levels that newly hatched keets need. Newly hatched keets should have a high protein turkey or gamebird starter for the first 6 weeks. After that they can go on a turkey or gamebird grower for another 6 weeks at which point the turkey crumbles or an all flock feed would be appropriate.

Last edited:
I should have been clearer, it is the starter crumbles. The heat plate is supposed to be automatic but since that was what you immediately suggested, I used IR thermometer, and sure enough, no where close. I really don't want a heat lamp, so put a small heat pad for terrariums on the side - (small bc the bigger ones can't be used on plastic) & a thick blanket under brooder so that it isn't directly on floor while I look for better alternative. Thank you, I shouldn't have trusted accuracy of heatplate.

I should have been clearer, it is the starter crumbles. The heat plate is supposed to be automatic but since that was what you immediately suggested, I used IR thermometer, and sure enough, no where close. I really don't want a heat lamp, so put a small heat pad for terrariums on the side - (small bc the bigger ones can't be used on plastic) & a thick blanket under brooder so that it isn't directly on floor while I look for better alternative. Thank you, I shouldn't have trusted accuracy of heatplate.
Welcome to poultry keeping! For shipped keets, Nutridrench poultry might be a better bet than electrolytes to bring them back from the stresses of shipping... You can admister directly in mouth if a new keet looks ill, or add to their water at the rate on the bottle to give them a quick boost when they first arrive. Other common problems with shipping are that they should be given warm fluids to start and should probably get their body temperature up to normal before eating and drinking. I use a red heat light instead of a heat plate... I know that lots of people use the plates with success, but maybe a lower wattage light for the first day would help while they get established? A thermometer is essential... There are also BYC threads on the mother hen heating pad method of using a heating pad to provide warmth.

I use the heating plate that they go under. I have it adjusted for the lowest space underneath and gradually raise it as needed when I see them sleeping mostly out from under the edge instead of totally underneath. Then I know it needs to be raised a bit because it is too hot for them at the current level. It stays at a steady temperature underneath.

I have the heating plate, used IR thermometer & realized it wasn't in the sweet spot. Put a reptile strip on it, better, not there yet. This a.m. I attached a cooling rack to a couple of blocks of wood, put standard heating pad on top- everyone is toasty. Thanks, everyone, for the help!

Back
Top Bottom