dying my Cockatiels

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by JordanFamily, Mar 24, 2011.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    We have 2 pet Cockatiels and we were thinking about dying their feathers to get into the easter spirit... Any ideas what would be the safest way to color them??? I was thinking coolaid might work, is that safe for Cockatiels, it works with our chickens?... They love taking a bath in the sink so would not be stressful for them at all.... Do you think it might hurt their realationship if they were different colored than usual? They are a mated pair... Or do you think they will still recognize eachother???? Any advice would be appriciated... Thanks

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Birds see in color- not sure-

Also if guest are going to see them or you are going to post online be sure its legal in your state.

3. BAMABIRDS

BAMABIRDS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Why color them at all? Seems kind of far fetched to me if they are just for you to look at.

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Are they white? I dyed my silkie for st pattys. I put some food coloring and a lil vinegar in a spray bottle and just sprayed her. If they like showers like my cockatiels it might work. I figure I dye my hair, why not my birds? At least food dye is non toxic, my one year old tried to eat it as I was dyeing snowflake. She had a green mouth and chin for a lil bit lol.
    [​IMG]

5. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    My male is very light gray, almost white.... I was thinking of dying his body one bright color and his crest a different color...hmmm maybe I will just do his crest and see how the female reacts to it.... Maybe it will get her to stop letting him pull out her neck feathers... lol.... I don't think there is a law against it where I live in Cass county Missouri... I know even the hatcheries here used to do it with baby chicks until an (animal group) kept hurassing them... And for the person who says why do it just for us: Well I live way out in the country so Why do I wear clothes or make up on days I do not leave my home? FOR MYSELF & MY FAMILY!!!
    I'll post a pic when I do it...
    [​IMG]

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I live in Clay co. I took snowflake to the snake saturday parade, several police officers commented on how cute she looked, so do not think it's illegal. My sister bought colored chicks at feldmans a couple years ago, don't know if they still sell them.

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I was just posting FYI it is illegal in some states or state (FL) to artificially color most animals (due to people making a mixed horse look proper, erasing faults on show aniumals and exploititng chicks and rabbits).

The dog part is in process of being changed as of late 2010, not sure about any of the others- we have to keep up on it as Magaicans, some people have colored doves, they can bring them, but cant sell or trade them and cant color them when they are here and can't live here and have the colored doves.

(Yes its ridiculous)

8. BAMABIRDS

BAMABIRDS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    If you want to color a cockatiel, print off a coloring sheet and color it. Don't put your birds through the stress of coloring them just because you can. If you have a mated pair it could affect their relationship, and it WILL affect them breeding. If you want them to breed, leave them ALONE !!!!!!

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    sounds really cool to me, i dont think it is a big deal if the food coloring is mixed with water

10. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by