Dying or savable?

Feathered Friend 252

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
My 3 year old chicken has stopped eating, will drink by syringe only. She had watery yellow diarrhea two days ago, its no longer watery now and just yellow. She is laying down and seems to only want to sleep. Perks up a bit then sleeps. She tried to take two butes of scrambled egg yesterday, had electrolytes yesterday and a couple drops of nutri-drench. What more can I do? Do you have an idea of what it might be?

Sorry, she is about 3 yrs. Not currently laying I believe since she has been sick. She is losing weight. Crop is empty. Yellow poop. Was watery a few days ago. This is day 4 of being sick. No other chickens are showing any signs of sickness. One of my 3 yr old ducks lost her voice around the same time. My neighbors have been poisoning rats and Ive found 5 dead so far in and around the coop. I talked to them and asked them to stop. Planning on getting a barn cat. We have been letting them free range in our yard since the weather has been nice. So she could have also found a plant that didn’t agree with her.

Sorry, she is about 3 yrs. Not currently laying I believe since she has been sick. She is losing weight. Crop is empty. Yellow poop. Was watery a few days ago. This is day 4 of being sick. No other chickens are showing any signs of sickness. One of my 3 yr old ducks lost her voice around the same time. My neighbors have been poisoning rats and Ive found 5 dead so far in and around the coop. I talked to them and asked them to stop. Planning on getting a barn cat. We have been letting them free range in our yard since the weather has been nice. So she could have also found a plant that didn’t agree with her.
It sounds like an egg broke inside her or a reproductive issue.

It could be reproductive, that is not uncommon. Does her abdomen feel bloated at all, between the legs, below the vent? Is her crop empty, full, hard, soft & squishy, etc?
If your neighbors are poisoning rats, and you get a barn cat, then if the cat were to eat a poisoned rat then the cat could die also, depending on what poison they are using. So that might not be the best solution if they are going to continue with the poison. Are the rats coming from your property? I would work on solving the rat issue, remove and seal up places they are living or hiding, brush piles, debris piles, openings under buildings, try to secure food/feed sources they are attracted too. They can be really hard to get rid of and can travel a fair distance. I had rats coming from a neighbors property (who didn't care) and despite all efforts (since chickens tend to spill food everywhere) we couldn't get rid of them. I had to resort to poison and I poisoned for over 6 months to finally get rid of them. It sucked.

Back
Top Bottom