Dying poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SilverSage, Aug 5, 2009.

1. SilverSage

SilverSage In the Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Do turkey poults usually tend to die easily? I seem to have a problem with losing them when they are about 5-7 days old. I don't lose the whole batch, but a good portion of it. Near as I can tell, they are eating well and all. It's just I'll go out and check on them and they'll be fine. Then I'll go out and one will be lethargic or on it's back, then next time, they're dead. Is it one of those things, or is there anything I can look at that I can do differently?

Thanks!

Kathryne

2. They can be touchy at first. How are you brooding them? What are you feeding them?

Steve in NC

3. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Songster

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Sounds like they are not eating enough or drinking enough water or the combo of the two. As it would take them about that long to starve or dehydrate out and die, from hatch.

About the only way to tell if a poult is eating and drinking good is by the size of their crop. It should be bulged and look round. If the crop looks flat and not real noticeable then they are not eating/drinking good enough.

Are they shipped or you hatching them ??

Shipped birds have a huge stress load from the get go and poults are very fragile after they get stressed hard. (shipping)

4. You can tell if they are starving out. Look at the toes and legs. When they first hatch they are sort of plump, if they aren't eating and drinking the skin will look shriveled and sunken in.

Steve in NC

1 person likes this.
  5. SilverSage

Nov 14, 2008
    They have water and and purina flock raiser for food. These are all ones I hatched out. I'll have to check on the starving. I 'spose it's possible that not all are getting what they need for one reason or another. They sure aren't quite as quick on the uptake as chicks are they?[​IMG]

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Switch from Flock Raiser to Purina Gamebird Starter (8% difference in protein could be part of the problem as well).

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    Sorry your birds are dying. Turkey poults do better when they have a chick to show them how to eat and drink. The next time you hatch out eggs add some chicken eggs so they hatch the same time as the turkeys. That way the chicks can teach them to eat.
    You can also set eggs under a broody hen (chicken) and let her raise them.
    Good Luck!

8. chickenannie

chickenannie Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    They are most likely dying because they are not getting enough protein in their diet, or because they have cocci, but my guess is the protein issue. They MUST have 26% protein feed.

9. The low protien feed won't kill them at that age, the problems with that will show later. The OP didn't say how they were brooding them. Inside or outside, on the ground etc.

Steve in NC

10. SilverSage

Nov 14, 2008
    They are in an enclosed brooding area of the chicken pen. It opens to a small outdoor pen, but that's closed off til they are bigger. Since they were hatched by a momma turkey and my daughter managed to break the heat lamp two days after they hatched, they have the momma turkey for warmth at the moment. That part seems to be ok, for now. They are on wood shavings for bedding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: