dying rooster with coccidia

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
37,221
52,538
1,332
Southern N.C. Mountains
I'm very sorry to hear about your rooster:hugs

I quickly read your other thread and it sounds like he also has a tumor?
The Coccidiosis overload would likely be secondary or opportunistic since he has been so sick.
I know it's very sad and the vet is recommending that he be put down. If he is suffering and in pain as you mentioned in the other thread, it would be most practical to go ahead and put him out of his misery quickly instead of letting him linger to visit with the girls.
That may sound harsh, but a visit would just delay the inevitable.

So sorry that you are having to deal with this, I'm sure he is much loved and will be greatly missed.
 

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
30,805
248,596
1,632
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
I'm very sorry to hear about your rooster:hugs

I quickly read your other thread and it sounds like he also has a tumor?
The Coccidiosis overload would likely be secondary or opportunistic since he has been so sick.
I know it's very sad and the vet is recommending that he be put down. If he is suffering and in pain as you mentioned in the other thread, it would be most practical to go ahead and put him out of his misery quickly instead of letting him linger to visit with the girls.
That may sound harsh, but a visit would just delay the inevitable.

So sorry that you are having to deal with this, I'm sure he is much loved and will be greatly missed.

I too am so sorry to hear you are loosing your beloved rooster. But I have to agree with @Wyorp Rock and say that it would be best to just euthanize him.
I had a pullet with a very large tumor on her head. Although she did not appear to be in any pain, she was having difficulty breathing and eating because of the swelling. I let her out to be with her flock during her last days. The top pullet attacked her and drilled a hole in the back of her head. That is something you just don't want to see.
You know and love your chickens but sometimes their behavior is cruel. Nature can be harsh. I'd hate for you to have a terrible image like that in your mind for the rest of your life because you were just trying to let your boy spend a little more time with the girls. It might be okay and it might go terribly wrong.
Best wishes to you. :hugs
 

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
554
518
191
Florida
so i was going to schedule an appointment to euthanize him yesterday at the vet as he seemed awful but when i called they said to give him Corid and keep going on the meds and if you can to try and pull out that abscess. so i got the abscess out and he starting pooping and feeling better, i also got the corid yesterday. today he seems a bit more like himself so i'm going to wait until his meds are gone and go from there. i'm trying to keep my hopes high and be positive but the vet still thinks its a cancerous tumor.
 

rebrascora

Free Ranging
5 Years
Feb 14, 2014
7,127
8,756
556
Consett Co.Durham. UK
It is good to hear that he has picked up a bit. If it is a tumour though, be aware that it could be caused by a virus like Marek's and if that is the case, he could be actively shedding the virus. I would not return him to the flock at this stage even for a last visit. Marek's suppresses the immune system and makes birds more prone to secondary infections like Coccidiosis.

I am curious about the tumour/abscess that you have pulled out and find it somewhat strange that the vet suggested you do that when they didn't do it during your visit.... is it hanging externally from his vent now or has it detached? Can you post a photo? I'm sorry if that sounds morbid, but we are all here to learn and the more we improve our knowledge, the more we can help other people and their chickens.
 

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
37,221
52,538
1,332
Southern N.C. Mountains
so i was going to schedule an appointment to euthanize him yesterday at the vet as he seemed awful but when i called they said to give him Corid and keep going on the meds and if you can to try and pull out that abscess. so i got the abscess out and he starting pooping and feeling better, i also got the corid yesterday. today he seems a bit more like himself so i'm going to wait until his meds are gone and go from there. i'm trying to keep my hopes high and be positive but the vet still thinks its a cancerous tumor.
I'm glad to hear that you may be able to treat him, but I too am curious about the abscess that the vet asked you to pull out.
Photos of your rooster and the abscess would be most helpful to visualize what you ar talking about.
 

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
554
518
191
Florida
It is good to hear that he has picked up a bit. If it is a tumour though, be aware that it could be caused by a virus like Marek's and if that is the case, he could be actively shedding the virus. I would not return him to the flock at this stage even for a last visit. Marek's suppresses the immune system and makes birds more prone to secondary infections like Coccidiosis.

I am curious about the tumour/abscess that you have pulled out and find it somewhat strange that the vet suggested you do that when they didn't do it during your visit.... is it hanging externally from his vent now or has it detached? Can you post a photo? I'm sorry if that sounds morbid, but we are all here to learn and the more we improve our knowledge, the more we can help other people and their chickens.
I'm glad to hear that you may be able to treat him, but I too am curious about the abscess that the vet asked you to pull out.
Photos of your rooster and the abscess would be most helpful to visualize what you ar talking about.
he did do it when we went to the vet and also showed us how incase it came back. its inside but its not far back its right at the exit. its white and usually quite large. i will get a picture if it happens again.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom