Dying silkies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickbythebay, Jul 25, 2014.

1. chickbythebay

chickbythebay In the Brooder

Oct 16, 2012
    Gulf Breeze Florida
    I have lost a total of 4 silkies over a 6 month period of time. They become weak and fall over. Stop eating then stop drinking. I've tried vitamins and deworming. I have the first one necropsied by a vet who said it was vitamin a dificiency due to being winter and no greenery to eat. Well its middle of summer with green everywhere and i just lost another one. The necropsy revealed no signs of merek's disease or worms. Does anybody have any other ideas?

2. Suzie

Suzie Crowing 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Have you treated them for possible external parasites...lice or mites..? .if not, it would be a good idea to use Sevin dust or Permethryn...mites are not always apparent on the body of the chickens...they can hide in cracks and crevices in the coop during the day and feed on the chickens at night...chickens, coop and nesting boxes will need to be treated and then again in 7-10 days after first treatment.

3. chickbythebay

chickbythebay In the Brooder

Oct 16, 2012
    Gulf Breeze Florida
    Yes i have treated for mites. I used everything to treat them including seven dust. There is no sign of mites at the present time, but ive had problems with them previously.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: