Dying Turkeys - Ohio

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by teckkev, Jul 2, 2011.

1. teckkev

teckkev Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    For the past 2 weeks, I have been losing a turkey every 1-2 days. There are no signs of injury. They were active as can be the day before. They have plenty of feed and water. Age: They are in that stage of adult feathers growing in. Our chicken coops are connected to the turkeys area. Chickens we never had an issue with. This same coop the turkeys are in we did have some bizarre chicken deaths in it last year. Chickens had injury's to indicate attack from the other chickens. We had 16 and down to 5. 1st year doing turkeys. I bought these from a highly respected supplier (Mt Healthy Hatchery). Breed: Mammoth Bronze. ANY help, tips, ideas, solutions will be most appreciated.

Kevin - Ohio

2. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mt. Healthy was just in the news for some of their birds having salmonella. I would give them a call right away.

3. teckkev

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    Wow! That is a shocker! Thanks for that info, I will contact them and google to get more info to that.

Kevin - Ohio

4. elevan

5. teckkev

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    I picked up mine End of March/Start April. I also bought 15 hens. And all of them are doing great. I was corrected on the time span of dying started. We had 1 die here and there before the mass dying started few weeks ago. Unless there is something different to turkeys compared to chickens, everything was done by the book. After all the chicks that I got the same day as the turkeys are all alive and looking great. This is just a real let down for my 1st year doing turkeys and not to mention the $$$ in all the feed they eat. I'm just hoping they will refund or replace the turkeys.

Kevin - Ohio

6. elevan

Your chicks could have carried it and transferred to the turkeys...totally possible.

I would politely demand that they replace or refund those turkeys given the full circumstances and investigations surrounding them. You will probably have to send one in for testing. If you haven't disposed of your last one that died yet, I would wrap in plastic wrap tightly, put into multiple trash bag layers and freeze it, just in case they want to have it tested.

7. teckkev

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    I dispose of them in the creek for the snapping turtles to eat (maybe not too smart now knowing they may be sick). I think it would just be fair for them to count their loss in a refund/replace while I take a loss on feed. I understand things happen, but at least compromise with the consumer and share the loss. We are only talking about 15 turkeys that were ordered, not hundreds [​IMG] Myself, considering few remain and the expense to drive down there again and they expect me to carry a possible diseased bird with me is out of the question! LOL IF they all die, what would be recommended preparation to ensure that coop is suitable for other birds?

Kevin - Ohio

8. elevan

I have no idea what they may ask of you...never been in this type of situation myself.

But please tell me that your creek isn't running into any body of water that could be being used for a drinking water resource. If so, then you should notify your department of health.

I would move the remaining turkeys to a "safe" spot and thoroughly clean the coop with bleach or ammonia before returning them to it.

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    I'd wonder given the problem with the chooks last year (or did you strip and clean prior to arrival of turks?).

Strip the coop completely and burn everything. Spray down the inside of the coop with Oxine (somewhat costly but well worth it). Let it air for a week or two. Wouldh't hurt to remediate the ground in run (if any) as well and add some construction sand (large grain).

You might want to check to find out who performs necroscropies in your area and pay the freight to find out for sure (don't freeze bird if you can get it in locally - just pack ice packs around it - freezing can screw with path exam of tissue).

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  10. teckkev

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    Quote:1) It's an agri-culture creek. The water is beyond contaminated. You have the pesticides and animal waste heavy in it.

2) It is an outside coop. Outbuilding with dirt floor and fenced in area outside for roaming.

3) Coop held roosters to be butchered. Probably a week or more turkeys were put in the coop.

Hope this helps piece the puzzle together [​IMG]

kevin - Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by