Dying young Australorp, eyes shut not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bonnieschooks, Jan 9, 2015.

1. bonnieschooks

bonnieschooks New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    My favourite n only australorp has suddenly stopped eating, 2 days ago, sitting lifefless eyes shut. Has her feathers intact, clean vent, poo is green with white but normal shape. Comp also normal color shape. Eyes quite round n clear. Breathing seems normal, but wasting away as KEEL quite bony and thin. Fed organic diet and greens from chick. Help appreciated thankyou.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    What's the organic diet? I've found many hens just don't do so good on completely vegan diets.

Have you offered her a hard boiled egg, or a raw one?

How's her crop feel? Does it empty overnight?

What's her face/wattle color/s like? The comb can be normally colored while the wattles or face are blueish or purplish and that's still a bad sign, for example.

Can you feel her abdomen and see if it feels bloated?

Good luck with her. Sorry to ask all these questions, but it's necessary.

Best wishes.

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    When was the last time you wormed your flock??

Also, have you inspected her crop? Is it empty? Is it warm and spongy? Or is it hard like a mass?

MrsB

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  4. bonnieschooks

bonnieschooks New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    hi chooksforlife, thanks for the prompt reply. Organic diet includes maze,wheat,sunflower,barley,&pellets, greens, some bread crumps.

Fed them fir yrs. Anyway, update report is: her Comp has small black spotsx2, white cloudy mark little swolen.
    No point offering her egg or whatever, she is NOT eating. Her kEEL IS terrribly thin. Crop is empty!.
    Symptoms show FOWL POX. Some book mentions Apply TINCTURE OF IODINE, mix in water. Called my VET they say cannot give you any antibiotics unless I show up.. Hung up the phone as I cannot afford a VET. Spend $2000 on vet costs for my Parrot and dog.

What do think?? thank you again for yr help.

5. bonnieschooks

bonnieschooks New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    Hi Mrs Brooke,

No I have never wormed my chooks. That is, all chicks I bred were never wormed. From over 4 dozen chooks over 9yrs no prbles until last 2yrs, 4 casualties, 2 sudden death, 1 had Cocci, and now 1 may have Fowl pox. I hope I can find this IODINE, But i dont think that will be enough since she is nopt eating which shows she has INTERNAL fowl pox, that is, in the mouth perhaps since she nibbled a little food last 2 days, today no eating and Comp suddenly has 2 black tiny dots and small cloudy white mark.
    If only I can get aPPRopriate antibiotics but without seing a VET as Im currently on v.smalll budget.
    thanks for prompt reply.

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  7. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    All that X2.

I would definitely recommend worming them.

If you have large fowl, you can get Safeguard. I would start that immediately.

Here's the dosage:

Quote: There IS a withdrawal period, so discard the eggs your collect for TWO WEEKS after the first round, and TWO WEEKS again after the second. You don't want to eat wormer eggs. :p

Hopefully, you will see some improvement in your mama. Keep us updated!

MrsB

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The most effective Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound for *five* days. That dose will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possibly some species of tapeworms. The one day dose will probably treat just roundworms.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
    A one day dose of Valbazen will kill all but gapeworms. Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound and repeat in ten days.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @bonnieschooks , your hen sounds very sick and should be brought inside where it's warm, weighed, checked for mites/lice. If not drinking and eating or thin, tubed fluids, then fluids and food.

-Kathy

10. bonnieschooks

bonnieschooks New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    Hello Chooksforlife,

Appreciate all your help, Spoke breifly to A Vet, he said maybe some virus. Fed her SOLAMINOVIT (food powder has many vitamins) gave her through left side mouth. once daily with dripper. (very hard to feed). After 3 days, she is now eating maybe 1/3cup of maize corn sunflower, hard boiled egg tomato bread crumps. She is more active that is standing not sleeping. However, she now had swollen face left side of cheek around the eye. Eyes comp are ok, Wattle little shrunk but color ok.

Got some wormer from VET since he gave me some advice to feed her the soft powder food. Not cheap $50, plus $30 for 'LEVAMISOLE 100g' wormer. Vet suggested to worm her if/when she gets some food in her. Not sure how much wormer to give. Dosage is 36mg per Kg body weight. She weighs 2kgm now but how much water to mix with does not say. I thought i get this to mix with water as its simpl3 since can give to all my chooks and chicks.
    So her swollen face has 2 by 10mm diameter swollen puffy cheek and huge brown/white droppings with very fowl smell. But she appears to show no discomfort/pain and walks ok.
    Will go online now to check the swollen face.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by