dying

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelliepulido, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    My pip from 2d ago is dead,and the other 1 I opened died now.What is going on...I had to opne the bator the humidity had gone down over the nite,and so I took out the 2 pips,1 was dead and the other 1 was alive but died 2hrs after I helped him out.The last hatch I had similiar problems what could be happening?They were developed and never pipped or pipped and never zipped.Temp have been ok

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Crowing

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    What kind of incubator are you using? How are you measuring temperature and humidity? Sounds like you have a humidity problem, which will certainly affect hatching. Sorry to hear of your losses.

[​IMG]

3. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I have a hova bator with a fan.The humidity I kept low during the 1st 18d since last hatch it was too hi,and lots of the babies didn't not have the bigger air sac,so now I am trying to get it right and still having trouble.

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Crowing

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Humidity is really the most difficult part of hatching, in my experience. What sort of hygrometer are you using?

5. DANNY

DANNY Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    On what day of incubation did the first egg pip?

6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I'm a firm believer that not everyone can run their humidity at the same level and get the same results...it depends on where you live. I keep my humidity at 35-40% the first 18 days, and then 60-65% during the hatch. That is what I've found to work best for ME. It's worked very well for both my standard and bantam hatches.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It just takes some time to get everything "tweeked" and figured out what works best. Hang in there...it's worth it. Once you figure out your ideal humidity level, it will always be a no-brainer from then on. Pathfinders is so right about humidity being the hardest part to work out. Be sure you either calibrate or change your hygrometer periodically...like after every 2 hatches. A faulty hygrometer can completely ruin a hatch...within a day!

Oh yeah...and here in lovely Michigan...you will have to make adjustments with the season changes, too.

Best of luck!

7. DANNY

DANNY Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    I totally agree that everybody has to figure out what works for them. I have been doing this 40 years and still learning. Like this year i had to remove the water from my incubator for the month of june because of the humidity outside was so high. I had to watch the size of my air cells to know when to put the water back in.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Crowing

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    before you start another batch, test your hygrometer and thermometer...

I am guessing your humidity % was too low and so was your temp.

I found that low temps caused sluggish hatches..

I agree with 40% 1-18 and 60% to 70% 19-hatch.. I personnally run 60% straight thru.. and I also do not get excited if the bator holds at 100F ..

"helped " hatchers usually are weak and many more die than those that live..

If you do "help".. never completely take them out of the shell.. and once you start to "help" one, you have to keep checking on it because their membrane and eggy stuff will quickly dry on them..

I hope you noticed the ""help"",, because you are really not helping.

9. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    today is 21 days the first pip was wed.and I agree the helping usually doesn't end well.SO the 2 losses are out,the water is added humidity is 58-60% we will see if anything else happens and I will buy another therm.humidity gage if I decide to try again

10. Mommi3130

Mommi3130 Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Michigan
    Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: