1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

E-coli danger from washing chicken treat dishes in kitchen sink?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Buff Hooligans, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. Buff Hooligans

    Buff Hooligans Scrambled

    12,147
    25
    311
    Jun 11, 2007
    I wash the chicken treat dishes in our kitchen sink using a sponge used only for that purpose. But the treat dishes have usually been kicked around the chicken run all day and have been exposed to all kinds of interesting organisms/germs.

    Should I wash them in the bathroom sink instead? Any thoughts?
     
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. DuckLady

    DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

    31,811
    264
    468
    Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I use soap and hot water to wash animal dishes. I wash them after I wash the human dishes and scour the sink after.
     
  3. Critter Crazy

    Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I do not use my kitchen sink to wash the chickens dishes. I use the hose, a tub, and soap outside during the simmer. In the winter I use the laundry room sink, and soap. I dont do it that way because of fear of Ecoli or something, I do it that way, cause well they are just a filthy mess,a nd dont want that mess in my Kitchen![​IMG]
     
  4. TundraChick

    TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

    277
    1
    141
    Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Use hot soapy water and it should be fine, clean the sink afterward.
     
  5. eggzettera

    eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

    I have read & seen on tv (on one of those English ladies coming in to clean) that the average kitchen sink has more bacteria (nasties of all sorts) then your average toilet. Clean your sink regularly with bleach or rubbing alcohol after you to your normal cleaning.
    JMHO

    Edit to add: I used to be a clean freak and could not leave the house unless my sink was cleaned & polished, that was back in Canada.....did not have a garbage disposal - man I hate those flaps how to you all keep them sanitized?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2008
  6. DrakeMaiden

    DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

    Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    If it were me, I'd pre-rinse outside and then suds them up inside. Soap works just fine if you leave it in the lather stage for about 20 seconds before rinsing. I wouldn't worry about using bleach unless you know they have Avian Flu or something contagious and nasty. Over-cleanliness can contribute to breeding superbugs -- even bleach is only 99% effective. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to mingle with the remaining 1%! [​IMG]
     
  7. silkiechicken

    silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

    Avian flu is a virus and by some books not defined as alive. [​IMG]

    I wash animal dishes outside just because it's easier. E coli can be on anything so just wash the sink when you are done with chicks or raw meats. I stay away from antibacterial stuff... as I too would rather ingest billions of neutral bugs, than that one bad one who lived though the bacteria killing spree.
     
  8. DrakeMaiden

    DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

    Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I'm not going to argue with you silkiechicken, but from what I've read bleach is recommended for disinfection when avian flu is suspected.

    My point was not to be specific to that contagion, but to call to mind something that would cross the species barrier.
     
  9. LittleChickenRacingTeam

    LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

    Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I use the laundry tub or bathtub for cleaning poultry stuff. I will soak all their waterer's in a bleach solution then rinse them.
     
  10. silkiechicken

    silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

    Quote:Oh, no worries! You can deactivate some viruses with bleach. Feel free to argue with me. :p
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by