E-coli danger from washing chicken treat dishes in kitchen sink?

Buff Hooligans

Scrambled
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
I wash the chicken treat dishes in our kitchen sink using a sponge used only for that purpose. But the treat dishes have usually been kicked around the chicken run all day and have been exposed to all kinds of interesting organisms/germs.

Should I wash them in the bathroom sink instead? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I do not use my kitchen sink to wash the chickens dishes. I use the hose, a tub, and soap outside during the simmer. In the winter I use the laundry room sink, and soap. I dont do it that way because of fear of Ecoli or something, I do it that way, cause well they are just a filthy mess,a nd dont want that mess in my Kitchen!
lol.png

I have read & seen on tv (on one of those English ladies coming in to clean) that the average kitchen sink has more bacteria (nasties of all sorts) then your average toilet. Clean your sink regularly with bleach or rubbing alcohol after you to your normal cleaning.
JMHO

Edit to add: I used to be a clean freak and could not leave the house unless my sink was cleaned & polished, that was back in Canada.....did not have a garbage disposal - man I hate those flaps how to you all keep them sanitized?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me, I'd pre-rinse outside and then suds them up inside. Soap works just fine if you leave it in the lather stage for about 20 seconds before rinsing. I wouldn't worry about using bleach unless you know they have Avian Flu or something contagious and nasty. Over-cleanliness can contribute to breeding superbugs -- even bleach is only 99% effective. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to mingle with the remaining 1%!
tongue.png

Avian flu is a virus and by some books not defined as alive.
wink.png

I wash animal dishes outside just because it's easier. E coli can be on anything so just wash the sink when you are done with chicks or raw meats. I stay away from antibacterial stuff... as I too would rather ingest billions of neutral bugs, than that one bad one who lived though the bacteria killing spree.

I'm not going to argue with you silkiechicken, but from what I've read bleach is recommended for disinfection when avian flu is suspected.

My point was not to be specific to that contagion, but to call to mind something that would cross the species barrier.

Back
Top Bottom