E-readers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cats Critters, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

My mom is looking at getting e-reader for my brother, who is being deployed at in December. Does anyone have one and which one do you recommend (Nook,kindle, etc.).

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    There was a really long thread about this a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember who started it, but you can probably find it with a search. It had a lot of really useful information. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:Thanks found it [​IMG]

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    You are welcome. [​IMG] I figured that would be faster than waiting on replies.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Yup, I remember that thread. But since this is here, I'll just say that I recently got a Kindle and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I was sold once I realized that I can transfer all my audio books from Audible.com to it. I also download foreign language lessons on mp3 to it which I can carry with me and listen to.

6. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Kindle. Nuff' said.

(I actually prefer paper books, the smell, the feel. Everything. But... The whole being able to read in daylight is AWESOME! I do a lot of my kindle reading outside, with the chickens and at the ranch. I've played with friends' nooks and their programming stunk. I've been told they've upgraded it, but I haven't checked. Been too busy with my neat kindle.)

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I have the nook..and i really like it! Maybe i'll get a kindle too.. [​IMG]

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    an ipod touch works too, it can use kindle, nook and most of the others all you need to do is download the free apps, plus it can be used as as a pocket computer, Internet, email, music, movies etc etc etc. its very readable

9. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Do you have to buy books on the e readers like you buy apps on an i pod/i phone? How much is nook an how much is a kindle? hmm I want one for christmas now! What kind of books do they have?

10. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I got my Kindle for $139.00. I was worried about what type of selection there would be, but you can go on Amazon.com and browse the selection without buying the Kindle. So you can go search and browse to see if you like the what they offer. There is a HUGE selection and all different topics. I read less main stream books, like books on Buddhism, etc., and was surprised to find plenty! The prices vary but most are cheaper than the paper version. Occasionally some are overpriced, but overall I am paying less per book. Also, there are tons of totally FREE books. Everything from classics to short reads for free. And the kindle holds thousands of books, I highly doubt I would ever fill it up. And you can delete them on your device and change your mind later and re-download them for free. As I said before, I listen to a lot of audio books from Audible.com and can listen to them on the Kindle. No more CD's! I bring it everywhere, listen to audiobooks while driving, or read in a waiting room, etc. At night I'll play an audio book and fall asleep listening. On the non-audio books you can change the font size, so no more reading glasses! I read a lot and sometimes will read several books at once. I used to have a stack by my bed and if I got bored with one, I'd switch to another. The Kindle makes that super easy; no more piles of books by my bed. I can't say enough about it. Best thing since sliced bread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by