Each rack measuring different

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by whytedragon, Jan 28, 2010.

1. whytedragon

whytedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    Hi everyone!

I've got an issue. Each rack in my incubator is measuring at a different temperature! Even the front is different than the back of the racks.
    Not sure why I'm not having any luck stabilizing the temperature in the entire unit. Is it normal for different areas to average different temperatures? Also, sometimes i'll go and look, and the thermo/hygro that are placed side by side in the center front is the same, sometimes different....
    Most of the humidity is the same or close, just the temps are different. I've got

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What kind of incubator is it? If it's a still air that's not unusual.

3. whytedragon

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    No, its a forced air with 3 fans, 2 on top, one on bottom side. I went and put some foil on the sides and back, but ran out, BUT it seems the temps are holding much more steady. Will have to get more foil or insulation and see if that helps. The incubator is wooden, so that might be why?

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I don't have a lot of incubator experiennce, so I'm sorry, but I can't be of any help. The answer will be interesting, though.

I'll just focus on forcing my fingers not to comment on your thread title. [​IMG]

5. whytedragon

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    Ha! I didn't even notice, lol.

I went and bought more foil, so I'm going to finish covering the inside and see how it goes.

6. whytedragon

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    Foil in, incubator back on, trays back in, thermo/hygromers back in (2 digital, one scientific). So I'll report when it settles...fingers crossed!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They usually are a bit different here and there. Just keep it around the best temp and rotate the locations of eggs.

8. whytedragon

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    I think it also might have to do with the fact that there are 2 powerful fans on top, and one PC fan on the bottom. The incubator is taller than it is wider, and the heating element is on the very top. So we all know heat rises...soooo...

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    This might be a "Don Question"... http://sunnycreekfarms.zxq.net If you call him, he might be able to tell best because he sees so many different incubators; he might be able to tell you what kind of variance to expect depending on what kind it is, and maybe even where to expect that variance.

Me myself, I was always told that you can expect hot and cold spots in any incubator...forced air should be less so than a still air, but that it still happens. I see some variance in my Model 50 Humidaire, and being a forced air drum, you would not expect that with the cylindrical shape. That's a reason why they made these weird-looking machines this way. Yet it still happens. I had 7 out of 9 hatch from my trial batch here in it this week, but then I didn't have the incubator filled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by