Eagle or Hawk killed and ate 1/2 my 10 lb Plymouth Rock Rooster!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pooponshoe, Dec 17, 2007.

1. pooponshoe

pooponshoe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2007
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I saw it fly up from the bushes when I walked outside:mad::mad:. It was not a vulture for sure. Do hawks get that big to attack a rooster. It was pretty big. It was very upsetting.

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] So sorry for your loss...yea ,seems like they aren't scared to attach anything !

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    It might be. could you see the coloration?

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    It would depend on where you live and the description. Eagles are generally in the west unless it is a bald eagle. Did the bird carry your barred rock away. A 10 lb barred rock is pretty heavy for most hawks to carry off. If you can give a description I am sure someone here can help you. Vultures only eat carrion so I am sure a vulture didn't kill your bird.

5. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Hawks go after my pomeranian and she is around the same size as a rooster. I am sure one would be able to kill a rooster. Good thing my dog runs real fast. They also sit on top of my coop but the coop is completely enclosed. Hawks around here are pretty big.

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Do you have a closed in run? After this I think the rest of your flock should be shielded for a while to prevent further attacks

7. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:I wish someone would tell the buzzards (vultures) currently circling my chicken coop that they only eat carrion. I watch them hunt most every day. And NOT just for carrion.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  8. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    Hawks will definitly attack a large rooster like that... my mom lost most of her flock to a Hawk a few years back... one of the roosters even faught him, but he was no match for the hawk. Hawks can get pretty big too, depending on the type of hawk.

BEWARE, now that the Hawk has found a food source HE WILL be back. better shut your chickens up for a while until you can get rid of the hawk.

9. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:I wish someone would tell the buzzards (vultures) currently circling my chicken coop that they only eat carrion. I watch them hunt most every day. And NOT just for carrion.

They circle mine as well and went into there coop. The barred rocks where so scared they where huddled in the corner of the coop

10. gypsygirl1421

gypsygirl1421 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    You can apply for a Migratory Bird Damage permit from the USFWS that will allow you to shoot the hawk. The trick to getting them to say oK to shooting a hawk that is killing your flock is that you must positively identify the bird doing the killing, and list some things that you have tried to scare if off, distress calls, hanging blank CD's on a line, reflective tape, spraying a hose at it ect. Shooting isn't always the best answer, but if they do get hooked on an easy food source, sometimes you just gotta protect your own!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by