Eagle Scout Constructing first chicken coop

Bandboy

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Hi-My name is Matt and I am working on my Eagle Scout project. For my project I am building a chicken coop (and a pig pen) to help kids learn about farm animals. I live in the west central coast of Florida so it gets pretty hot here. I know the chickens will need protection from the sun and storms. There will be 8-10 chickens so I understand I need to build a coop about 6'x7' and a run about 10'x10' - to give the chickens enough room. There are so many options out there I'm not sure where to look. It needs to be sturdy enough to last through storms and relatively reasonable cost wise to build as I need to get donations or fundraise to get materials.

Is there anyone who can help with a blue-print and materials list? I have people who can help with construction but I have no idea where to start. I really want to do a good job and there aren't many people around here who have experience with chicken coops! Thank you so much.

Congrats on making it to Eagle Scout!! I got kicked out of Brownies(GS)
hu.gif

There are several threads on here on making hot weather coops. I'll see if I can find the threads for you

My son is a Life Scout, all he needs is a couple of merit badges and his Eagle Project for his Eagle Scout! Congrats on making it this far, it's not easy. You shouldn't have any problems here for information. Looking forward to see your progress and the day you are awarded the Eagle Scout. Keep us posted!

Congrats on getting Eagle Scout, Former Scoutmaster here. I would suggest looking at plans here. I think an open coop would be cheapest and easiest for your climate. When you get a plan together go to Home Depot or Lowes and talk to a manager. They usually have damaged lumber and other materials that would be great for a coop. Since it's for a scout project they may donate the materials. If not check with a construction site or find a local home builder for donated material. They usually throw away enough scrap to build a couple of coops. Good Luck

Last edited:
I got tired of taking orders from kids who were younger than me. I only joined so i could go camping and stuff lol. Boy scouts has too many rules for me. Anyway use the advice from the posts above and the chickens will be fine. My 2 cense is make sure it is preditor proof.

good luck

Thank you for responding. I will keep looking through the threads. I will post pictures as I get going! Any suggestions will be gratefully taken!

Matt,
Great Project! Good Luck!

Just spend some time poking around on this site and pull out whatever you think will fit your needs and budget. I bet it will be great and be something a bit different from anyone else.

An eagle scout is a great accomplishment... nice work.

Bandboy,
welcome-byc.gif
from South Carolina!

Look forward to seeing your progress, what a great project!

Hey, you're not in Cedar Key are you?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom