Eagle strikes again!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by trinityfly, Dec 24, 2009.

1. trinityfly

trinityfly Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG] Last year my wife had to go hand to hand with an eagle as it tried to drag one of our hens out of the field. That hen survived and the big raptor chased off, but now the eagle is back. Yesterday afternoon, about an hour before dusk we were down at the hen house to check on the chickens but when we got there none were in sight. What we did see chilled our blood. White feathers strewn about the yard and drops of blood by the door. We could see the culprit, an adult eagle was sitting on top of a dead tree about 25 yards away, just looking at us. I yelled at it and waved my hands and the huge bird flew off down the creek and into the forest. We went inside to count the birds and to count up the damage. All the hens and the rooster were in the hen house hiding in the nesting boxes. One adult white silkie hen had quite a bit of blood on her left wing and a small amount on her right. She had been attacked but apparently managed to get away. Upon closer inspection of the damaged wing we could clearly see the 1/2 inch wide puncture wounds on the shoulder above the left wing made by the talons of the eagle. The right wing had less damage and the wound was small enough not to be readily apparent. We cleaned up the hen and put neosporin antibiotic ointment on the puncture wounds. All the chickens were obviously terrified. This morning none of the chickens wanted to come out of the hen house but I was able to coax them out into the closed in run with goodies. Even the injured bird came out. We will continue to watch her closely for the next few days for signs of infection. The birds will tell me when they are comfortable leaving the protection of the hen house and run. By the time they are ready it is hoped that the eagle will have moved on. Eagles are territorial and cover a lot of ground looking for food. I have moved my scarecrow closer to the hen house and may have to babysit the chickens first few excursions out into the open field. We know that eventually, the eagle will be back.

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    your gonna have to call fish and wildlife on this one and you will be lucky if they are any help

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Wow, I'm happy she made it! Pesky raptors, anyway...

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Close call. I have been thinking that I might move a plastic owl on my back deck to a corner post on the run to possibly deter hawks. have read that they will not mix it up with an owl. Might be just enough to make a roving hawk move on to greener pastures. [​IMG]

( Friend of mine had one with a battery operated head that would turn once in a while. He had it by his garden but it was stolen. )[​IMG]

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Hello,I am not sure how much they cost, but I was at a winery during the summer and they had noise machines that would go off every minute sounding like a cannon going off. The birds would all fly like crazy getting away from it. That was how they kept most of their grapes from being eaten by the intruders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by