eagles 1 --chickens 0

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by panner123, Sep 15, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Because of the fire danger here, I cut a 75 foot fire break. Chickens being chickens, they had to go see what kind of bugs I uncovered with the dozer. Before they could made it to the cover of the brush, an eagle is having a fat hen for dinner. The worst of it is, I can't even shoot the eagle, they are protected by the feds.
    A small price to pay if there is a fire this year.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Panner...im so sorry....Thats just terrible! But...the family will be safer...if there is a fire. Small price indeed.

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

That's a bummer! Did you see it happen? What type of eagle and what type of chicken?

I've not given my girls a second thougth when it comes to local raptors because they are too chubby (I think) for anything to come after them from the sky.

4. panner123

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:Nifty you should living in Northern Ca. Even a big owl will get a chicken
    and we have a number of hawks as well as a few eagles.

I have a large pond at the edge of me property and about 3/4 mile below that is the American River. This area has a few breeding pairs of bald eagles, we see them fishing in the pond once in awhile. Since only my six year old grand daughter saw it happen, (she said it was a big bird) I am going to assume it to be a bald eagle. They are big enough
    to take a small goat or the like. The hen was a fat RIR.
    Most of the time it will be a small chicken or a chick that is lost.

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Rob, I've lost 2 nice chubby Marans hens to Red-Tailed Hawks. They didn't even try to carry them off just killed them and had dinner on the ground. All chickens are vulnerable to raptors.

6. panner123

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    As I was feed & watering this morning I heard an eagle screeching.
    All the chickens headed for cover, none lost this morning. I looked up at the fire break and there was THREE bald eagles, an adult and two young ones. They were perched in a tree over looking the lenght of the fire break. I guess it is time to add some more fence.

7. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Okay... correct me if I am wrong please..... BUT, I thought if they were a threat to your live-stock you are allowed to eliminate them. That is what I have been taught and have been told here. Please correct me, or call animal control to verify.

I am so sorry you lost one of your girls!
    Tes

8. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    According the game warden here, it get's a little trickier when the predator is on the endangered list, or even recently removed from that list. Still, he told me, "sometimes it's better to apologize than ask permission." Granted, I was also told that I didn't hear that from him.

Mark

9. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Mark - Thats what I was told too by the same proffecional and instructor.... just wanted to verify. Thanks.

10. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    For what it is worth, you lost a chicken, but remember you got that bear?

Did you read that post from the guy in Wyoming? Seems some poor guy was attacked by a grizzly and somehow managed to shoot it. Now the state of Wyoming is suing him for the loss of a bear. And, you have to know it wasn't a cheap bear.

If I were you, I would keep quiet about that one you shot, at least until you have eaten all of the evidence.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by