Ear injury

It_is_I_Rae

Songster
Oct 30, 2019
Hey all, my 9 week old blind wyandotte pullet has an injury on one of her ears. There's dried blood on it. I'm not too concerned about the injury itself but I'm wondering if I should separate her from my other 3 pullets of the same age because I'm worried she might get injured worse. They don't seem aggressive toward her as far as I'm aware but I don't see how else she could've gotten hurt.

Where is she housed? Any chance she scraped it on a staple or wire?

Is she completely blind? You may find that others will pick at her if she's blind. Sometimes chickens can be mean.

Separation is something to consider, but you may have difficulty re-introducing her back to the others, so keep that in mind too.

Where is she housed? Any chance she scraped it on a staple or wire?

Is she completely blind? You may find that others will pick at her if she's blind. Sometimes chickens can be mean.

Separation is something to consider, but you may have difficulty re-introducing her back to the others, so keep that in mind too.
I am keeping them in a large dog crate inside the coop so the older girls can get used to the pullets without fighting each other. I don't think there are any sharp wires but another theory of mine is that maybe one of the adult birds pecked her through the cage?

Yes, as far as I'm aware, she's 100% blind, although she does seem to be able to tell the difference between dark and light but that's it.

It's possible one of the adults pecked her if they are in a crate.

Are you able to let them out with the adults supervised for periods of time throughout the day?

Back
Top Bottom