ear lobe discolored.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marktoo, Aug 28, 2013.

1. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Went out to check on my girls this morning & found this. The pics are not clear but you can see the discolorization. There was a small amount on blood on her neck, there is an open sore at the bottom. The other ear lobe has a small, head of a pin small, dark spot on the very tip of the
    ear lobe. Not sure if she got pecked & that caused the ear lobe to discolor or she's getting sick & she's being pecked to keep her away from the rest of the flock. I sprayed the wound with Vetericyn. Should I quarantine her? Course of action? Thoughts? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks to me like she got pecked, and that is causing the discoloration. I can't think of any disease that causes discoloration like that of the earlobe, so I wouldn't worry about that.

1 person likes this.
  3. marktoo

Thanks for the reply, but whatever this is, it has progressed since this morning. Her ear lobe is now swollen. The wattle on her other side has some dark spots on it. Thoughts anyone? Early onset of aviary influenza, fowl cholera? She's still eating, drinking & running around but I know they try to mask any problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It looks like she got pecked and possibly got infected. Is the area warmer than normal? That would be a clue. If it is pecking I would separate her for healing. The only illness that I know of that has black spots is fowl pox and dry fowl pox but she doesn't look like she has either.

1 person likes this.
  5. marktoo

I bought a large dog crate today, I planned to separate her tomorrow. Hopefully you guys are right & I'm just blowing this thing out of proportion. Got visions of some ugly disease taking them all out or more likely but equally as bad, me having to cull them before that happens. Thanks!

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It could be a wound that developed a staph infection. Since it may be too dangerous to inject the actual area of the wound, you could give 1/2 cc injection of Penicillin in the breast muscle morning and evening for 3-5 days. Use some vitamins-probiotics in the drinkers during this treatment. You could use oral Penicillin capsules, but they take longer to react through the digestive system.

Another thing you can do is use a warm compress,drain the pus out of the wound, and use a topical ointment like Mupricin or Neo-Poly-Bac.

If it were pox, I think it would appear differently based on examples I've seen. I've never dealt with fowl pox, so perhaps someone else could chime in who has.

1 person likes this.
  7. marktoo

I'm afraid I've been caught unprepared for this. I'm gonna have to locate the medicines you're recommending. Thanks!

8. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
  9. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    If nothing else honey may be messy but is a great natural antibiotic.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It does appear that something is going on with her. I would suspect an infection caused by the picking, Fowl Pox, or it could be the first signs of a respiratory/sinus infection. I'd put some antibiotic ointment on the earlobe and wattle, and then begin treating with Penicillin, as Michael Apple suggested. Watch out for any swelling of the face, other wattle, or eyelids--if that happens, the infection is either spreading, or your hen has a respiratory infection. In that case, get some Tylan50 or Tylan200 injectable, as those are the best antibiotics for quickly curing respiratory infections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by