1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ear lobe Issue ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazychickhen, Apr 17, 2016.

1. crazychickhen

crazychickhen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2015
    Hi there ! I was wondering if anyone could help me treat and diagnose what's going on with one of my Hen's ear lobes (anatomically I believe this is what I'm looking at as I'm new to chicken motherhood). Her left ear is firm and almost appears to be cystic in nature. She is fractious if I try to touch it when she's my most docile bird. Not sure if it's painful ? Thanks in advance ! [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like she may have an ear infection, which could be from mites, or bacteria or fungus. If a vet is an option, you could get her seen and an antibiotic. If not, I would get some QTips and either saline or hydrogen peroxide, and clean it out. Then you can fill the ear with plain Neosporin or Bacitracin ointment. Look for mites on her skin as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. crazychickhen

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you so much! I will try and treat conservatively but I will most likely end up at the avian vet if not improved over the course of a few days. Is this painful? Should I supplement Turmeric or any pain medication to her in the mean time? THanks

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Amoxicilln, Clavamox, and Bactrim would be good antibiotics to use. I would not give pain medicine. There may be pus inside the ear that needs to come out, and chicken pus becomes hard and cheeselike. A regular vet might also be helpful if they feel comfortable treating chickens. Ear infections are not that complicated, as other illnesses. Let us know how she gets along.

1 person likes this.
  5. crazychickhen

Dec 31, 2015
    Do you happen to know a dosing range for Clavamox? Thanks!

6. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    If she were mine I would be tempted to remove the scab and check for a cheese like pus in there.
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. crazychickhen

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you for the advice! Shes pretty painful and fractious when I touch it. So for the moment I started oral antibiotics (for those who are curious I received an official dosing from an avian veterinarian ....) with Clavamox at 125mg/kg twice daily. Birds metabolize differently than dogs and cats(so this is ridiculously high compared to what they would get). Also for any of those who posted about Baytril use in birds its actually banned by the FDA to give Baytril to any poultry due to the development of resistant strains... just FYI. I have spent the day gaining knowledge on all of this and since I couldnt find it on here prior to I figure I will share the knowledge I gained. Also- for natural pain remedy, it is acceptable to add Turmeric into their feed. Thanks everyone for the advice!

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Call the vet back and ask if the Clavamox will treat the hard pus (if that's what's in there), or if it needs to be removed. It's been my experience that antibiotics will not treat the pus.

Baytril... yes, it's banned, but many of us still use it.

Did you see my reply to your post in the Clavamox thread?

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  10. crazychickhen

Dec 31, 2015
    She said potentially not, that surgical removal/lancing may need to happen down the road if the antibiotics dont do anything. At this point Im not very skilled and my husband isnt the best "helper" so I am not sure to what degree I will be able to lance it...I would in a heart beat she just wont stay still for me and I dont have any one to hold her still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by