1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ear mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cglessner, Dec 28, 2014.

1. cglessner

cglessner Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Burnt Cabins PA
    My neighbor has a hen that falls over, walks in circles but otherwise seems fine. I read that these symptoms indicate ear mites. How do you treat ear mites?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    A couple of drops of vegetable oil in the ear will smother ear mites.

1 person likes this.
  3. cglessner

May 28, 2014
    Burnt Cabins PA
    Thanks so much. Thats easy enough.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. An extra zap of pyrethrin is good too. I've used some labeled for dogs like this:
    http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/mitex12oz.html

5. cglessner

May 28, 2014
    Burnt Cabins PA
    Thanks Michael Apple. A wealth of knowledge here to be found. Im always amazed at the speed of the responses on this site. Chicken people are good people.

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    With more attention on my part, there are a few things that can cause that problem. Encephalomalacia which is caused by a Vitamin E deficiency can cause those symptoms. A vitamin E cap given once a day and poultry vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic powder in water for a week should clear symptoms up if no brain damage is done. I've also seen birds exhibit similar symptoms when going through a difficult moult. Birds drink less in Winter, so a good moult supplement added to feed should be used like some of these found here: http://www.jedds.com/-strse-Supplem...ditioning-cln-Feather-Moulting/Categories.bok
    I've found they work better than just adding a grower or gamebird ration.

7. abundantvine

abundantvine New Egg

Feb 22, 2017
    How do you know if it's a vitamin e deficiency compared to ear mites? My hen is showing symptoms of this. She acts like she had vertigo, but can run across the yard fine. When she stops, she starts to tip and catches herself with her wings or sits back on her haunches. She shows no signs of illness otherwise- but did lay an egg last night with no shell. She has the dizziness last fall and it went away. She may have had access to water softener salt water a few days ago. I considered salt poisoning- but she had drank a lot of clean water since with no improvement. Thanks for input- I know this is an older post!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by