Ear Numbness

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by punk-a-doodle, Dec 19, 2011.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    So, I went in to see my doctor just to switch a medication. She did the general look in the ears/eyes/throught/nose thing while I was there. She said both ears aren't looking great, but that my left ear is very infected and red, and said she needed to treat it. I was extremely surprised. I didn't feel any pain. Sure enough though, I have noticed that the entire left ear has been flushing bright red lately, and I even got motion sick during a movie recently that had a slightly shaky camera, which has never happened to me before.

I've had terrible, constant ear infections since I was a kid. Three pairs of ear tubes, and one ear rupture from a particularly bad infection. I used to have a horrid time flying or just driving up hills. I've noticed hearing loss along with developmental verbal proccessing issues most likely due to constant infections at such a young age. My ear drums are apprently very scarred, though I've never had a chance to see that myself. I guess I just thought that all the infections and pain had gone away when I aged and with the ear tubes. Now, it seems that I have been having the same ammount of ear infections and pressure...I just haven't been able to feel it. I looked up ear numbness and not being able to feel infections in the ear, and long-term infections popped up as a cause. Ergh, it just ticks me off because I am probably having even more hearing loss occuring...and am completely oblivious to any ear infections that may be raging. How can one treat an ear infection when you don't know you have one? Anyone else with this problem? Any tips you can give me?

2. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    that's an interesting problem... well, maybe not interesting for you, but one I haven't heard of before. I've got ear canals that make an extra turn, so they don't clear properly and I'm a bit prone to ear infections too.

some of what I notice when I've got one coming on...

my ear feels hot (from internal sense, not by touching it)
    the little bit of the ear near my cheek that covers the opening to the ear canal gets warm to touch
    sometimes the cheek right in front of my ear gets warm and swells a little too.
    I sometimes feel as if the jaw is a little out of place on that side, the swelling interferes with the TMJ movement.
    sometimes I'll have more sinus headaches on that side, or my molars on that side ache.
    a small bout of vertigo can be an indicator
    and of course, it hurts.

I wonder if there's something like a swab test that you could do at home... they've got tests for UTIs, and we use a color changing card for mastitis in goat's milk... wonder if there's something like that available that could be tested using a Qtip swab?

when I've got an infection in the outer ear, if they treat it with antibiotics only, I end up with a fungus infection immediately after. like the next day. however if they treat it with drops that have both a steroid and an antibiotic, it will clear up and return to normal.

also because the extra turn traps wax in my ears, promoting infections, it's helpful to go have them cleaned out once or twice a year at the doc's. I don't find the "wax removal kits" do anything at all for me, maybe because of the odd shape of my ears.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Wow, that IS weird! But maybe its a good thing to not feel the pain... cause ear infections hurt like heck! [​IMG]
    You need to make sure to keep uup routine visits to get your ears checks now that you know this... because you def dont want a bad ear infection to go untreated... ugh! [​IMG]

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I have moderate hearing loss and hearing aids are the fix. Lost hearing is just that... lost. Cleaning your ears more frequently does help.

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks guys, I will look into these methods. I had never heard of this either, but I told my mom about it, because she often has a hard time hearing, and often complains of motion sickness during movies. I'm thinking I must have gotten narrow eustachian tubes from somewhere (I only get inner ear infections as far as I know), so I'm guessing it'd be from that side of the family. X) And that's interesting about your jaw being effected by your ear infections Gypsy. I'm actually thinking my ears might be effected by my jaw. It actually pops out of socket and clicks/hurts (especially on the right side) to the point that I am not allowed to eat apples straight off the core, no gum, no chewy candies, etc. I bet that has some effect on th ear tubes that run by it.

Haha Red, I am SO glad at the same time for this numbness. Ear pain is something I don't miss. My husband looked in my ears, and said, "wow, how do you NOT feel that", which made me pretty happy I am numbed up. [​IMG] Definitely got to find a way to keep even further scarring from happening though. Darn ears.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  6. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I don't know how your doc is but one of mine told me that an ear infection can't cause TMJ issues... he's wrong. it quite clearly does in my case, so if they tell you that, take it with a grain of salt...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by