ear pecked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cindy99, Sep 29, 2010.

1. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    I have a Buff Orpington that has been pecked in the ear! Her face and ears are starting to turn red (along with most of the rest of them) and for some reason one of the girls has pecked her in the ear! It looks terrible. It is starting to scab a little but I am worried that the girls will continue to peck at her. Is there something that would be safe to put on her ear?

Thank you!
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Her ear is that hole behind that tuft of feathers. I think the pick, if it is the dark scab thing you are referring to is on her face patch. Don't worry about it. Enough space and things to do and others won't notice. It was probably a mis placed head peck as part of the pecking order squabbles.

3. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Thank you! I was worried that it might be part of her ear. (Can you tell that I am new to all of this?) [​IMG]

They really don't seem to be bothering with her but I was worried.

She is so sweet. I had a terrible time trying to get her to not look straight at the camera and smile! [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is sweet. Yep they can be pretty brutal about pecking order. Makes me want to spank a bottom when they are mean to each other especially when the big ones pick on the little ones. lol

5. akchick76

akchick76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    I just found the same thing on 2 of my BO chicks today. Pecked on both ears on both girls. I don't see anything else on the darker chicks. Is it too hard to see? Not bloody either, because I tried to clean it up. More like red and irritated. Would bluekote help?

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Blue Kote & Nu Stock have been reccommended to me, but I've never personally used them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by