Ear wax? Ear Pus? How to treat.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NapoleanGoose, Aug 10, 2010.

1. NapoleanGoose

NapoleanGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    My banty rooster has been acting funny for a couple of days so I grabbed him this morning and gave him a quick look over. He had been yawning a lot and wasn't crowing as much as usual. I thought gapeworm but no sign of it. Instead, his ears are covered in a yellow/green cheesy ear wax type stuff. They were completely covered, poor guy. Hence the yawning to try and remove it. How do I treat? I've never heard of having to watch a chicken for earwax buildup, but he obviously needs to clean out his ears. What would be best without hurting the bird? Is this a symptom to something else?
    Thanks

2. blueraspberry

blueraspberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    chickens have ear wax ? [​IMG] can you post a pic?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I remember a case of this on here before, and it wasn't ear wax per se, it was an ear infection. I think the bird with the "wax" issue ended up going to the vet and getting a course of injectable antibiotics to clear up the ears. Pics might help.

4. NapoleanGoose

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    I'll see what I can do. I'll post them tonight if I can.

5. NapoleanGoose

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Here's a picture. Sorry all the others were too blurry to see.

[​IMG]

6. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    Look up canker in the search bar. I have read a lot of threads on here trying to educate myself about any possible malady the chickens could come down with and that is what I think it is called.

HTH!

7. blueraspberry

Aug 4, 2010
    yuck! poor chicken [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like an ear infection similar to what I've seen here on the past. This one you'll probably need a vet opinion on the proper antibiotics/treatment, or perhaps another member knows what would be best.

9. blueraspberry

Aug 4, 2010
    it sure looks like ear wax, i hope he gets better [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. NapoleanGoose

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Thanks everyone. We don't have a very good bird vet here but I'll see what they say

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by