Earliest Broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Brown Chicka Brown Cow, May 10, 2011.

1. Brown Chicka Brown Cow

Brown Chicka Brown Cow Chillin' With My Peeps

Would love to know what the earliest possible age a hen can go broody is, only from everyone's personal experience, and not what the books say. Soooo....What is the earliest age your hen went broody and What breed? Thanks!

2. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    We currently have our first broody hen. She is a Black Australorp and is 13 mos. old.

3. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi,
    I had a silkie start laying around 6 mos of age and go broody the same week she started laying.

Carolyn

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have an 8 month old broody. Not even laying full sized eggs yet, but she's determined to be a mom!

5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Olga hatched July 13th of last year, laid her first egg in January, and went broody 2 weeks later. Hatched her first clutch at 7 months of age. We had no rooster at the time and gave her fertile eggs we had bought. We have a rooster now, and next time she goes broody, we're going to let her hatch whatever she wants. She did a great job and was a really good mom. The chicks she hatched are the healthiest ones we have & they're 3 months old now.

6. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    1 Year Old, BO. My first broody. She's currently on 14 of my mixed flock eggs. Sure hope she knows what she's doing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by