1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Earliest crow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EatMorSteak, Jun 7, 2011.

1. EatMorSteak

EatMorSteak Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    What's the earliest age u have heard a roo crow? I have a 7 week old that is already starting as i heard several mini crows this morning!

2. Chicken + Duck = Ducken!

Chicken + Duck = Ducken! Out Of The Brooder

I have a roo that started crowing at about 5 weeks. VERY annoying when its dangerous to put him outside in my nighborhood, so he sleeps right next 2 my bed. my own personal alarm clock. oh joy. [​IMG]

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have two, 8 weeks old, trying to crow yesterday....its funny to hear, a choking sort of crow! lol

4. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Well, our rooster didn't start crowing at a particularly early age, but we were behind in the building of the coop [​IMG] , so they were still in a box in the bathroom...we'd go into the bathroom in the morning and our rooster, Perry, would be sitting on top of the shower bar trying his best to squeeze out something that resembled a crow! It was so funny!

5. EatMorSteak

EatMorSteak Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Good stuff. Didn't realize they started so early. [​IMG]

6. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    No one will believe this but I have one EE Bantam roo that is now 6 weeks old. This is a hatch of two that I hatched out in my incubator. I have my brooder in the computer room. I was typing away when they were 10 days old and I heard this sound. Looked over and low and behold the little guy was trying to crow. I almost fell off my seat laughing.
    This guy's comb turned red at 2 weeks!! I was amazed. This one is beautiful and intergrated with other chicks of different ages and he is not aggressive at all.

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Yep! I had 2 very early ones like you. I couldn't figure out what the sound was at first until I realized the little guy was trying to crow! It was a very funny sound but a definite attempt to crow. It is actually quite cute until they get louder! LOL [​IMG]

8. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    my bantam ee at 5.5 weeks. it was pretty pathetic.[​IMG]

9. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    One of my EE chicks from last fall crowed at about a month old, but I'm not hearing much from any of my chicks this spring and the oldest of them are almost 9 weeks. They are big boys, but I guess they are intimidated by the big roos and are keeping a low profile [​IMG]

10. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Quote:My bantam EE is not even a month old and I caught him trying to crow! He was sitting as high up in the brooder as he could and squeaked out a choked chirpy trill that lasted 4 seconds, and he did this about 6-7 times! It was hilarious. He looked so proud of himself. It doesn't help that he is cross-beaked and looks like an idiot. His name is Nonsense. XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by