earliest layers?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by adyhart1, Jan 21, 2011.

1. adyhart1

adyhart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    whats the earliest anyones coturnix quail have laid eggs? i know they lay between 6-8wks but has anyone ever had any "early birds?" [​IMG]

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    5-5 1/2 weeks for coturnix I have a coupla hen bobwites that I hatched early in 2010 and I had already hatched chicks off them at the end of 2010 [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    4 weeks - actually a few days before turning 5 weeks. And they still get big. Kind of blows the keep them in the dark and laying late theory out of the water.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the ribbing. Actually laying toooooo late is a sign of inbreeding and leads to fertility problems.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  4. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Wow that's amazing! I've got some 6 weekers who haven't laid yet but I'm not stressing its been pretty cold and gloomy [​IMG] but I do get crowed at everytime I come in the pen to freshen there water and food! Ungrateful little peanuts!

5. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX

Harker heights ehh? Not too far from each other byc buddy!

7. Delta3013

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX

Harker heights ehh? Not too far from each other byc buddy!

WOW......I just relized that! Cool! I live in Heights city limits.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2011
  8. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    What kinda birds do you own?

9. Delta3013

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    11 (soon to be approx. 20) Red silkies/ 1 mallard/ 2 buff opri. ducks/ 2 flemish giant rabbits/ 1 netherland Dwarf/ and 22 broilers for JLS
    p.s.- lost 3 due to heart attacks yesterday...poor fatties. It's from Ft. Hood artillery Practice.

10. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Aww i'm so sorry to hear about your poor fatties! We actsually live in Moody... so we have been hearing it too! Our poor little house shakes sometimes. But it doesn't bother my husband and I too much. We are both veterans and were stationed at ft campbell in kentucky! The wonderful screaming eagles!! now up there we didn't have artillery practice but all those birds (helicopters) could sure give the artilleries the run for there money!!! I've been talking on here about getting some buff orpington ducks... you like yours??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by