Earliest Memories 50 Yrs Ago

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chayton, Nov 8, 2009.

1. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    One of the earliest memories I have(I'm now 55 years young) was watching chickens hatch in the incubator my Dad built when I was 4 years old. Well here are some pics of the incubator I built for my grand daughter. It is built from a styrofoam cooler with 2 inch sides, top & bottom. I have a Ranco electronic temp controller with +/-1 degree differential and the temp is holding between 99 & 100 degrees. There is a fan mounted below the floor of the incubator to circulate air, I also have a water container that is 25% open and the humidity is holding at 60%.
    Please give any feedback (pro or con concerning )

I also have included a picture of my grandaughter marking the eggs so she can turn them( she is very determined that this is her project) she turns them before she goes to school, when she gets home from school and before she goes to bed. She is 5 years old.

They should hatch on the 24th

Thanks to all that have answered questions I have posted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It looks and sound great! The only thing I would worry about is the humidity being to high. If you can get that to lower you'll have it made. [​IMG]

What neat memories and how wonderful that you are building the same ones for your granddaughter. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok first of all [​IMG]!!!!!!! I think you are building some lifelong memories for your grand daughter doing this with her. Your post and pics moved me. I am not one to ask advice on hatching though - my first batch is in the bator now.

4. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I think it looks fantastic!! I keep my humidity about 60% until lockdown, so that would be OK with me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by