Earliest or latest hatch you've ever had?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by columbiacritter, Feb 10, 2011.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    A friend of mine had a Japanese bantam pop out at 16 days. It was ultra tiny even for a jap but it survived and all it's clutchmates hatched on days 18 and 19.

My grandfather turned off his bator on day 25 and when he went back on day 27 to clean out the non hatchers there was a healthy little chick sitting there.

What the earliest you've had a chick hatch?

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    My earliest hatcher was a silkie that hatched on day 17...the rest of the eggs hatched on day 20. [​IMG]

3. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    So far all mine..begin their pipping day 20 and done hatching day 21

I keep my bator set on

4. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I had 18 chicks hatch on the day I took them off the turner and put in lockdown on day 18. I think it was more my counting than early hatching.

5. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I had a BCMs hatch at day 28. The chick is really a strong and healthy chick. [​IMG]

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Wow. I love that story about your grandfather. Surprise chickie! That's so cool.

My hatches haven't been that interesting. Earliest pip was on day 20, latest hatch was on day 23.

7. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Hey Lor the 18 chick thingy, did you bet the lottery with the number 18 in it. [​IMG]

8. CountryPantry

CountryPantry Fat Matt's Poultry Farm

Feb 23, 2009
    Hayesville, NC
    Last summer we had two incubators going with quail eggs (125 total). Both were set at the same time. We put them on lockdown on day 13, DH said he saw 3 damaged eggs that we missed but put them in lockdown anyways. DH got up during the nite and heard noises in the incubators. WOW both incubators had 3 little chicks in them. We pulled them out in the morning, no other pips, put those 6 in the brooder. The rest hatched during the nite of day 15 and all day on day 16. 112 out of 140 eggs shipped (15 were damaged in shipment). We were very happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by