Earliest you can tell sex in Pekins..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommto3kiddos, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I have 2 little Pekin Ducklings and was wondering what can I watch for to help determine sex? At what age should I be able to tell for sure.. One duckling is slightly larger than the other and we keep joking (hoping) hes a boy and shes a girl..hehe

2. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Actually one girl and one boy is a bad flock, because over mating will occur, and the female will be injured. I depends on how you want to tell. at about 8 weeks the feathers are in, but a few weeks after that the male will get the curl. You can sex by the quack. The females have a louder quack, and the males have a deep raspy quack.

(The ideal flock is 1:4 male to female ratio. Or 2 females)

[​IMG]

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be able to tell around 4 weeks old what they are. The girl if there is one will QUACK and be noisy where as the drake wont.

4. mommto3kiddos

Mar 9, 2011
    Thanks - Im new the Ducks, so that helps alot.. Kinda hoping for two girls now.. [​IMG] No quacking, but boy are they noisey, and still have that "cheep" to them. But they are both def vocal [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Mine quacked at about 2.5 weeks old. How old are your ducklings? A little quack might be coming out sooner than you think![​IMG] it would be awesome if you had two girls! I have two pekin girls, they are so cute!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Personally? I can tell at 2 days old, but I've raised lots of pekins! By 2 weeks the girls should start making a quacking sound, but definitely by 4 weeks old.

And FWIW, 1:1 ratio is fine, I've never had any problems with mine. I've actually had some that took 'mates' and bred with none other than the 1 duck or drake they chose.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  7. mommto3kiddos

Mar 9, 2011
    My girls are around 1.5 to 2 weeks old! Im going now to "listen" to them..

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:If they aren't used to being handled the easiest way to tell is to pick them up.

9. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    what does picking them up have to do with it?...did I miss something? lol

Mine are all 6-7days old now...they do what I call cry alot....like lost babies

10. mommto3kiddos

Mar 9, 2011
    They both "chirp" when I pick them up, but one had a distint "chatter" were the other was more like a quack.

In Pekins are the males larger?? Reason I ask is both my babies are the same age, but one is a tiny bit larger & has a slightly thicker/longer bill! Its also the more curious duckling, were the smaller one kinda hides more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by