Earliest your Cochin laid?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I have a 20 week old Cochin that I am 99.9% sure is a pullet. But her comb and wattles are getting kinda big (nothing like my roo) and are pretty red. But didn't think they laid till 8-9 months.

I got three full-sized Cochin chicks this spring, and one began laying two weeks ago, at 21 weeks old.

Her sisters have yet to lay an egg. BTW, of the three, the one that's already a producer has a larger comb and wattles than her sisters -- which may have nothing to do with anything, just an observation.

I got three full-sized Cochin chicks this spring, and one began laying two weeks ago, at 21 weeks old.

Her sisters have yet to lay an egg. BTW, of the three, the one that's already a producer has a larger comb and wattles than her sisters -- which may have nothing to do with anything, just an observation.
wow ok so yours was really young. I have read here that their comb and wattles will turn really red and get bigger shortly before they begin to lay. That is part of why hers being so big at 20 weeks was throwing me off since normally (as I said above) Cochins don't lay till 8-9 mo so 20 weeks seemed REALLY young for hers to be getting big and red. Here is a pic of her from yesterday. Do you know around the hatch date of yours? Mine was April 8/9. I got them on April 10 so she will be 21 weeks at the end of this week.

Attachments

• Annabelle.jpg
    Annabelle.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 2
Okay, I was relying on memory; now, I've gone back to the record book (don't trust my brain before I've had morning coffee).

I got Isabel (who is a Buff, like yours) and her "sisters" at a local farm store on the morning they came in from Hoover's Hatchery -- which was March 18.

Her comb and wattles look pretty similar to your girl's, both much larger and redder than either of her sisters.

However, while all my Hoover's girls are always strong, healthy chicks, it's not unusual for them not to adhere to breed or gender standard. Of my three Buckeyes, two girls look like hens; the third has a giant comb, big wattles and lays eggs like there's no tomorrow.

Okay, I was relying on memory; now, I've gone back to the record book (don't trust my brain before I've had morning coffee).

I got Isabel (who is a Buff, like yours) and her "sisters" at a local farm store on the morning they came in from Hoover's Hatchery -- which was March 18.

Her comb and wattles look pretty similar to your girl's, both much larger and redder than either of her sisters.

However, while all my Hoover's girls are always strong, healthy chicks, it's not unusual for them not to adhere to breed or gender standard. Of my three Buckeyes, two girls look like hens; the third has a giant comb, big wattles and lays eggs like there's no tomorrow.
Thanks. Ok so you got your girl around 3 weeks before I got mine. :) I really think my girl is close to laying. I got mine from a local feed store but not sure what hatchery they use for them.

I got 1 egg from my EE on Sun (or think it was Sun I didn't think to look on Sat since noone was laying just happened to go in sun to prepare my nest boxes since I knew they were close and found an egg in it that I swear wasn't there before. LOL) and nothing since! I am going crazy waiting for another egg now! LOL doesn't help I go away on Thurs until Mon so won't see any eggs from then since I told the person caring for them if there were any she could keep them. I will have to have her take a pic of any for me. haahaa

wow ok so yours was really young. I have read here that their comb and wattles will turn really red and get bigger shortly before they begin to lay. That is part of why hers being so big at 20 weeks was throwing me off since normally (as I said above) Cochins don't lay till 8-9 mo so 20 weeks seemed REALLY young for hers to be getting big and red. Here is a pic of her from yesterday. Do you know around the hatch date of yours? Mine was April 8/9. I got them on April 10 so she will be 21 weeks at the end of this week.
I have a Cochin that was born in January started laying in July.

I have a Cochin that was born in January started laying in July.
Thanks. so around 6 months or so. I have a feeling this one girl is going to be a LOT earlier than her sisters. I am thinking by 6 mo. at the latest but wouldn't be shocked if in the next couple weeks. She will be 5 months on the 10th.

Back
Top Bottom