Earlobe / Egg Color question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by P-Funk, Aug 3, 2011.

1. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    It's said you can tell the color of the eggs they will lay by their earlobe color. Where on a bird, exactly, is the earlobe?
    [​IMG]
    This is Cindy, a 4.5 Month Leghorn who has been checking out the nesting boxes recently. She, like all my other girls, has the same color behind her ears, Red.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    The red spot behind the eye. Some girls get droopy back there when they are older. Just like us.

3. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Thanks, Laree, but as usual, I'm still confused. The whole earlobe thing is wierd. I know they have ears because they can hear the sound of treats hitting the floor from 1/4 mile away. Just behind the eye they all go from red whatever feather color they decided to be. The anatomy pics I've seen aren't much help. Maybe if I had any patience I'd figure it out when the babys finally start laying.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG]

A red ear lobe means the chicken will lay brown eggs.
    A white ear lobe means the chicken will lay white eggs.
    Of course there are some exceptions.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Red earlobes also indicate that they may lay dark brown or even blue or green eggs too [​IMG] But your girl there won't, trust me.

6. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I found this video, they explains very well where the ear lobe is. Hope this helps

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Ok, so I have a cute little cream brabanter hen, and she her earlobes are a pearly white with an irridescent sea-foam green sheen to them. She lays a white egg.

8. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I thought the earlobe color indicated whether or not the hen was laying or in a dry spell. 10 of my ISA Browns have red earlobes, the one with whiteish earlobes isn't laying. She used to have red earlobes. All 11 hens lay brown eggs of varying shades.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by