areyougoosingme

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2022
Greetings from Northwest Washington. My I have a Chinese water goose she's brown and she's my first goose! This is her first year laying eggs and she started in December. I was pretty concerned and I started taking her eggs away thinking it was too early for her to hatch goslings considering the weather has been so cold. Long story short, she hatched for and I brought 2 inside to hopefully even if the playing field. In case she loses them then we'll still have two. Well she's doing pretty darn well with them but I'm concerned about a couple of things. Goslings are all doing very well inside and out. Except for one thing. One of the goslings that I have inside is picking on the other one. He grabs him in the middle of the back and just reefs on him. He doesn't seem to be hurt but he's picking often and I see his back is wet all the time. So should I separate the two goslings inside until the one decides to stop picking on the other? The other thing I'm curious about is if anybody else is keys have been laying eggs early this year. Just seems quite odd to me that my little Popcorn would start laying in December rather than February!?
Thanks everybody. It's not nice to have some place to turn when you have questions. There's not that many geese people around!

Its not unusual for chinese to lay and hatch early. They have a longer laying season than larger geese. I cant fix what there doing maybe someone else would have some ideas. But I can tell you about my production african 2 years ago.
My girl went broody and my other goose kept laying in her nest. I had already rehomed the gander. When the hatch came 3 babies hatched after 2 days the 2 girls were more interested in the little peeps than the left over eggs so I brought them in and hatched them. 3 more hatched. about a week went by the 3 babies they were raising were about 2 weeks when I took the one week olds out and the girls immediately adopted them. They raised them all. The ones that had been with the geese were a little more bully and when it happened the moms jumped in. Not sure it would work but the parents may be able to get the bully out of your little one.

Back
Top Bottom