Early Birds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LisaSS, Apr 26, 2016.

1. LisaSS

LisaSS Out Of The Brooder

I have twenty one day eggs , but today is day 16 and they are peeping , they are in a egg turner, should I turn the turner off or leave it until the 18th day. Hep me , I don`t want my hatching chicks to get hurt

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

This bump may get a hatching expert to give their view....

Is your incubator temp high? --

Somewhere I read that toward the end of incubation turning is not necessary -- If you hear peeps -- then the chicks are positioned and breathing oxygen, right? If it were me I would turn the turner off.

Good luck with your hatch!!

Here is some conversation on the subject:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/440356/confused-on-when-to-stop-turning-eggs

Here is one where they say it is Okay to stop turning at day 14
    http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=47552

Post back when they hatch
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  3. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    I would stop turning. And i would quickly read up on everything you can related to early hatching and problems you might encounter. Prepare as much as you can.

Good luck, keep us posted. I hope you make it a few more days!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If you are hearing peeping inside the eggs it signifies that you have internal pips. Yes, you should go into lockdown. Are you sure that you have counted right? Are these standard or bantam eggs? EIther way, if they are even thinking about hatching this early and they are chicken eggs, it signifies that your temps are too high. (Or there was incubation before you set them.)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. LisaSS

I started these eggs on April 10th. they are standard eggs. But the chicks are breaking out now . There`s three so far . The incubator temp was held at 99-100 , so I guess they just wanted out ,lol

6. LisaSS

Thank you for your help. It`s 5:04 here ,heard peeping at 8:00 am , one has completely hatched. waiting on the other 47,
    oh this was a mixed batch , Buffs, Ameraucanas,

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Very exciting!! (and nerve wracking) Comgrats!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by