Early birthday present.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WVDoug, Sep 4, 2014.

1. WVDoug

WVDoug Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Northern WV
    I had two Cuckoo Marans pullets go broody, so Aug 16 in the late evening I gave them each 6 eggs to hatch I have two Black Australorp roosters, and BA, BO, RIR, and CM pullets, so this should be interesting. Figured they'd hatch on or about my birthday, Sept. 6.
    Candled them after 6 days and tossed one with a blood ring. Candled again a week ago and all were opaque. This past Monday I had to euthanize one that had broken open, probably due to another hen jumping in the nest to lay when momma was out for her daily eat 'n' poop.
    Today I was collecting eggs and checked under one momma. As usual, there was an extra. When I was looking for the unmarked one I noticed one cracked open and one pipped, and could hear peeping![​IMG]
    I left them with momma. I don't know if the one cracked open was hatching or if it had been stepped on, but I'll leave since it's almost hatching day,
    Now if I can just STAY AWAY and leave them ALONE...........[​IMG]

2. WVDoug

WVDoug Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Northern WV
    The one that was cracked was fine. All five of her eggs have hatched and the chicks look great.
    The other momma hatched out four today, so there's one egg left. Not pipped yet, so I hope it's OK.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    aww!!! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by