Early Bloomers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Northern Appalachian, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Northern Appalachian

Northern Appalachian Out Of The Brooder

One of my ten-week-old Khakis seems to be going through a molt. She was the first to lose her baby fuzz and the first to quack. I was expecting this more at 16 weeks though, is there cause for concern? Anyone else have an earliest bloomer? Feel free to share! Our latest bloomer only just finished off her baby fuzz a few weeks ago.

2. Leave a LightOn

Leave a LightOn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    :frow I have some Runner ducks that will be 11 weeks old Monday. There have been lots of feathers dropping these past few days. It seems to be all of the ducks at once. :confused:

3. Northern Appalachian

All of them?? Is 11 weeks normal or early for Runners?

4. Leave a LightOn

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    I think it's normal. I read somewhere ducks molt (juvenile molt) around 8 weeks, 11 weeks, and 15 weeks. I wasn't expecting it at 10 1/2 weeks but it's ok.:)
    These are my first ducks so I am still reading everything I can. :D

5. Northern Appalachian

Likewise, and these second molts definitely snuck up on us. Our early bloomer started in the middle of week nine, so I guess we can plan for our average ducks to start next week and our late bloomer to start in two or three.

6. Leave a LightOn

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    :thumbsup

7. Northern Appalachian

Is the 15 week molt supposed to be their "about to hit duck puberty" molt?

8. Leave a LightOn

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    Yes, as far as I remember, they are transitioning to their adult-sized feathers and the 15 wk molt should culminate in adult plumage including adult coloring and drake curls in the boys' tail feather area. After this they molt yearly?

I have been surprised at the small size of the lost feathers. The ducks look so big now and "fully" feathered. It is exciting to think they will become even more beautiful! :love

Northern Appalachian likes this.
  9. Northern Appalachian

More early blooming!

At 13 weeks old, our early bloomer (hen) started flirting. These are our first ducklings, so I'm not an expert by any means, but I think it's a bit early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by