Early Broody... What in the world!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommto3kiddos, Sep 29, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    So my Banty Dark Cornish hen has gone totally broody.. She hasn't laid since Monday before last! She refuses to roost, I only see her leave the nest box once a day around 10am! She isn't aggressive when I go check for eggs, but refuses to budge so Im shuffling around under her for eggs..

Thing is she is just barely kissing 6 months old [​IMG] - And I don't even have a roo...

So I must ask... A friend of mine has a broody full size americana and has offered me some eggs from her broody to give my girl to set on and maybe hatch.. My question is can a banty sucessfully set, hatch, and raise a full size chickens eggs???

Let me tell you this girl is determined....

[​IMG]

2. slurrywidow

slurrywidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    My broody momma that just hatched out 4 babies last week was very young too. About the same age. And now I have a new broody, also barely 6 month old sitting on some eggs. I thought that was very young but so far so good. As far as bantams hatching full sized eggs I know people use silkies to do that very thing all the time. Good luck.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My silkie was hatched in Nov, and raising babies by June. She was a great momma too. I say give your girl some eggs, good luck!

4. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have a little buff orpington gal who went broody at 5 months and 1 week of age. She successfully hatched three baby chicks (whose mothers were the same age as the buff gal) two days before she turned six months old, and was a great mother to the babies.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. sunlitmoonlight

sunlitmoonlight Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Ireland
    Yeap, I also suggest place some fertile eggs under her. Chickens are very clever and know when its time to do some mothering; some mature earlier than others. They are best happy when raising chicks [​IMG]

Good luck and enjoy
    [​IMG]

6. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    lol u have got awesome luck whne it comes to broodies so i would put fertile eggs under her but make sure she is covering them all and is comfortable my isa brown comfortably keeps 16 eggs and she is currently broody 3 days left

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    She will be fine with full-sized eggs. I have a little serama who pretty much stays broody and has hatched quite a few LF Brahma chicks. It's funny to watch because in just a couple or so weeks the babies are as big as momma!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by