Early Broody... What in the world!!!

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
So my Banty Dark Cornish hen has gone totally broody.. She hasn't laid since Monday before last! She refuses to roost, I only see her leave the nest box once a day around 10am! She isn't aggressive when I go check for eggs, but refuses to budge so Im shuffling around under her for eggs..

Thing is she is just barely kissing 6 months old
hmm.png
- And I don't even have a roo...

So I must ask... A friend of mine has a broody full size americana and has offered me some eggs from her broody to give my girl to set on and maybe hatch.. My question is can a banty sucessfully set, hatch, and raise a full size chickens eggs???

Let me tell you this girl is determined....

0927111322.jpg

My broody momma that just hatched out 4 babies last week was very young too. About the same age. And now I have a new broody, also barely 6 month old sitting on some eggs. I thought that was very young but so far so good. As far as bantams hatching full sized eggs I know people use silkies to do that very thing all the time. Good luck.

I have a little buff orpington gal who went broody at 5 months and 1 week of age. She successfully hatched three baby chicks (whose mothers were the same age as the buff gal) two days before she turned six months old, and was a great mother to the babies.

Last edited:
Yeap, I also suggest place some fertile eggs under her. Chickens are very clever and know when its time to do some mothering; some mature earlier than others. They are best happy when raising chicks
smile.png

Good luck and enjoy
smile.png

lol u have got awesome luck whne it comes to broodies so i would put fertile eggs under her but make sure she is covering them all and is comfortable my isa brown comfortably keeps 16 eggs and she is currently broody 3 days left

She will be fine with full-sized eggs. I have a little serama who pretty much stays broody and has hatched quite a few LF Brahma chicks. It's funny to watch because in just a couple or so weeks the babies are as big as momma!

Back
Top Bottom