early bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Woobsie, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Woobsie

Woobsie Songster

I have a BR rooster with what looks to have early bumblefoot ie. Swollen footpad, swelling between toes. He isn't limping and is eating, drinking and acting normally. I dont see that black scab or opening yet. His leg above the toes looks slightly more swollen than his other leg.
    He is isolated for now. Should I get him on antibiotics right away? And if so should it be penicillin (I am in Canada). Should I just start soaking in epsom bath daily to start? I dont want to cut it open and risk at transferring the bacteria directly into his bloodstream.

2. Davidhalpern2

Davidhalpern2 Chirping

Jan 29, 2014
    My advice is wait and watch it daily. Bumble foot will have a black spot/scab. I have one hen that has one footpad that is much larger than the other. Been that way for 5 years now. She is in perfect health

1 person likes this.
  3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Don't use antibiotics until absolutely necessary. Yes, give him a bath with the epsom salt. Then squeeze the infected part.

1 person likes this.
  4. Woobsie

Woobsie Songster

He had a sprained leg for the past few months so he puts most his weight on the leg that started to swell. About a week or 2 ago I noticed the foot ankle and leg start to swell but not seeing any black holes or scabs... I just don't want to leave it until he shows signs of lameness

5. Davidhalpern2

Davidhalpern2 Chirping

Jan 29, 2014
    If you are not 100% sure it's infected don't squeeze and subject the bird to unnecessary pain.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    x2

7. TracyLovesDucks

TracyLovesDucks Songster

Mar 25, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    X3! My duck had a minor cut on the bottom of her foot... and a very slight limp. I thought there might be a thorn or sliver that was bothering her so I cleaned the cut and gave it a bit of a squeeze. I removed only a black speck. That was two nights ago. The next morning her ankle began to swell and limp worsened throughout the day. Today, the swelling remains as well as the limp. But I've kept her in a small enclosed area, so she is doing better than last night. I felt so bad having done anything to contribute. So, Davidhalpern's advice is very good!

Any update on your rooster? Hoping he's doing ok!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  8. Woobsie

Woobsie Songster

Thank you for the replies! For some reason got hammered with about 5 cases of bumblefoot and one broken wing all in 2 weeks. I ended up soaking the feet in a strong epsom salt bath for 20 min (not my idea of a fun time!) and then just wrapping it with vet wrap or applying polysporin on gauze and wrapping with vet wrap. I kept the foot wrapped for around 2 weeks. With all but 1 case this was all I had to do for the swelling to go right away and the bumblefoot to disappear. But one case I cut it open and didn't manage to remove the kernal..I didn't see it. But it was bleeding and I disinfected very well and covered it upw ith polysporin after treating with Betadiene. The foot healed marvellously after I confined her in a cage for 1 to 1.5 weeks and left it wrapped for around 3 weeks. Seemed rather easy but I was probably lucky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by