Early Candling...Fertility Predictions

FreedomFarm13

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Arkansas
Hi! So, I've done this a few times now, and I've always been 100% right when making predictions of fertility on Days 1-2 of incubation. Am I the only one who's done this? Can you tell after 24 hours if an egg is fertile? Either no one else has done this, or im a candling prodigy. I tried to show my mom once, but she didnt see anything, so am i just really lucky, or is there a way to tell? To me, it looks like a tiny, little darker blob, trailing along the top of the yolk when twirled gently. I know it sounds crazy, but it really works! I've even done it on some darker Welsummer eggs! Marans are a little too dark, though, usually. Share your experiences if you've tried this! If I had pics I'd share them...im gonna do a Day 1 candle tonight on 10 Sussex and Ameraucana eggs I've got in the bator, so I'll post pics then. Don't know if they'll show up, but it's worth a try!

I guess my follow up ? would be: what is the fertility rate in your flock? If your roo is doing his job, most of your eggs are gonna be fertile anyways. How many eggs have you said were definitely NOT fertile, and then cracked them open to check your accuracy?

I did have some fertility issues with those hatches (younger cockerels), which is why I candled so early- curiosity. I think my first hatch I did that with was about 13 fertile and 11 not fertile. I always open my eggs to see what happened if they are clear or don't hatch. The ones in question were definitely not fertile. All they had was the small dot (blastodisc? I always get the 2 confused), while the ones I predicted fertility in that didn't hatch had definitely development. Most of those quit on about Day 18. I don't think I recorded any data about the other 2 hatches, but I remember those being accurate predictions, too.

ETA: I've been checking fertility on my eggs the past few weeks and it's much higher now, so we'll see what we can see with this new batch.

I can tell fertility on day 3 of incubation. I can' see anything before that.

I was wondering if candle at day one and see yolk slowly move with turn if fertile or meant wasn't taking. Will recheck around day 4 for the veins, but are you saying if you can see the yolk move while gently turning then that's a good sign of fertility? First time attempting incubation and trying so hard to get it right

I don't think you can see any change in the yolk until day 2. ThEn with eggs that are fertalized, it seems to move more slowly.

Today will be day 3 I can see an air sac on three out of the four does that probably mean the 4th one is not going to develop or not fertilized?

Above is day 1 (or day 0 since you don't count the first day)
dawnacus 445.jpg
day 2below.
dawnacus 444.jpg

I know you are not supposed to candle before day 7.

Back
Top Bottom