Early Case of Bumblefoot?

alyssaallycat

Chirping
Feb 14, 2016

Just like the title suggests... if the pic above embedded proporly then I just need clarification... is this a early stage of bumblefoot? This foot belongs to my sweet buff orpington about a year old. She and her other americana friend love to jump up and down our lawn chairs, where they land on !!concrete!!. About a week ago, she started favoring the other leg, sitting down whenever possible, but was still able to walk. I was very concerned, so I locked her and her sister in the run, with the orpington on a towel, with food and water close by. I came home that late afternoon expecting the worst, and found her to be roaming around the pen, perfectly fine. I checked her legs, there was no swelling, hot spots that could indicate infection, broken spots, or toe problems. The only thing I could find was that small brown scab. I checked it tonight, and it has not gotten any bigger or swollen. I have acess to a poultry vet... but we really don't want to bring her in unless we absolutely have to induce that kind of stress or money (vets are expensive).
Thank you guys in advance! You have gotten me through a lot of first chicken parent problems!

A small injury can lead to bumblefoot, but looks like it's just a scab for now... bumblefoot is just where the wound/thorn, etc gets infected... infection in chickens is a hard, cheesy substance rather than pus like we are used to... if you're worried, soak her foot in warm epsom salt water, gently pluck the scab off when it's soft and see if there's anything to remove, it would be whitish/yellow core... apply colorless/clear iodine and keep a clean bandage on til it heals...

Yep, concrete is bad for their feet, she might have just sprained her hock a bit too... epsom salt soak would help that too... hope this helps... :)

Back
Top Bottom