Early chick mortality

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickbea, Jan 18, 2007.

1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I've always raised my chicks from day-olds, but this year I had my old hen Dorothy hatch out her own babies. I didn't think chick-rearing could get any more adorable, but watching them interacting with a hen is just too cute!
    However, I was distressed to find one of the five babies buried underneath the wood shavings yesterday morning, still alive but just barely. It had been absolutely fine the night before. It's little mouth was full of shavings, and it was gasping. I cleaned and rinsed its mouth out, and separated it from the others so it wouldn't get picked on. A bit later it was sitting up and peeping, so I thought it was recovering. Next time I checked, about 45 minutes later, it was dead. Any ideas? Do you think it smothered, or aspirated? Did it have a congenital issue, and that's why Dorothy tried to bury it? This happened on day 7, and it was feathering out as well as the others, and fighting for its food.
    I've been lucky to never lose a chick in all these years, so maybe I'm overanalyzing - I know it does happen...

2. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. It's really hard to say what happened. Sometimes a hen that is inexperienced will accidently have a chick under her foot when she beds down for the night or it could have just kinda got buried in the settle in scuffle. Your right it happens, hopefully the rest will come along fine.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry about the chick.(((Hugs)))

4. Chook-Girl

Chook-Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    So sorry chickbea.