Early Christmas Present!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joedie, Oct 30, 2010.

1. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    My DH told me to get an incubator for myself for Christmas and to order it now. I was on it that day and my Genesis Hovabator arrived yesterday!. I didn't want a big one like a Sportsman because I won't be hatching that many at a time and I've never done this before. Now I have to look at it all winter and decide what to hatch first, turkeys, chickens or guineas. I also would like to get heritage chickens and have to decide which ones. Hummm, decisions, decisions? [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Fun decisions. Congrats.

Find a breeder with some lovely Dellies.

Bargain or hinkj have some of those lavender orps. or speckled sussex or leghorns....
    Peachick has those beautiful blue laying ameraucanas.
    There are some awesome silkie breeders that aren't far from Indiana....
    Breeders with FBCM's abound now.

Yup. Fun decisions....

3. joedie

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Quote:Mahonri, by Dellies do you mean Delawares? That was one of my thoughts but I'll have to do more research on them. I have FBCMs that I got this year from a breeder. I might try them on the first hatch.

4. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I got my Christmas Hovabator about a month ago and just last night set if for the second time. My silkie decided to start laying, so I wanted to check fertility. I said no more haching till the spring but if they want to lay I will set them. What kind of Hovabator did you get? I have the 1602 with fan and auto turner. I am trying to get a used 1588 as we speak. I have a little giant on loan.
    I say go for silkies. They are just to darn cute and have the best personalities. I have silkies and guineas love them both. The guineas tear up everything though and are very loud, but are the best watch dog I have ever had thus far. They roost udner the ck coop now and it couldn't get any better than that. They alarm me to everything.

5. joedie

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Quote:Its the 1588 with automatic egg turner.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The 1588 was my first bator after Miss Prissy suggested it. You have to diligently watch the humidity.... I call it "mother henning it"

I also now have a Brinsea 20 Advance Ex w/ humidity control. Nice bator.... plug and play.

7. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Mary Brooks Robbins has some very very nice silkies!!!!!!! The eggs i got from her turned in to beautiful chicks, Try her she might have some eggs now, very nice lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Lucky! Why did you have to tell me that. I almost bought the Brinsea 20 yesterday, had it in the cart and everthing. But I need to think about other people with Christmas coming up so fast. I just spent my limit for this year on the Showgirls, so the used 1588 was really my only option at this time. I am 2nd in line to look at it. Keeping my fingers crossed that person 1 does not get it. I really could use it. Nice to know about the humidity on the 1588. Thanks.

9. joedie

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Quote:Oh, darn it! I looked through threads on here before ordering it. Well maybe it will become an addiction and I'll have to upgrade and run 2 at once! My 15 yr old granddaughter told me last night when she saw it that she would like to try hatching guineas and sell the keets and the local Amish auction where they sell like crazy! I think that would be a good thing for a young person to do. She could learn a lot!

10. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I agree Mary does have nice silkies! Although I called cople weeks ago and she was sold out of eggs. She may have more now though. Wouldn't hurt to give her a call!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by